查看完整版本: Minivet sp in Tai Po Kau

subbuteo 1/01/2010 18:29

Minivet sp in Tai Po Kau

I saw a single yellow minivet in the open valley on the way into Tai Po Kau.  It was seen flying over and calling- it was without company.  Initially we thought it was a leafbird as the flight was "wrong".  It also appeared smaller and dumpier than usual.  It kept right to the top of the trees perching openly and was observed for around five minutes. It may be a female or immature scarlet minivet but can you see what you think?  We made an attempt at digiscoping- apologies for the image quality.  It seems to have a very defined yellow throat and cheek and a dark forehead and crown.  Also a clearly bright yellow rump and back, with a grey mantle. The tail has a wide dark band witht he yellow only on the margin.  I realise a combination of posture, distance and the light conditions could all have made the minivet look funny.  Any thoughts?

[url]http://gallery.me.com/dylanthomas#100160&view=grid&bgcolor=black&sel=4[/url]

lmichael 1/01/2010 18:56

The combination of yellow spots on the tertials and secondaries and a yellow throat rules out all the minivets except Scarlet. Perhaps it is a first winter male though that usually shows a more orange rump.

Best regards

Mike Leven

subbuteo 1/01/2010 22:39

Thanks, Mike.  The wing pattern is a useful thing to look for in future.  Scarlet Minivet has such distinct markings but the female seems to look different in each book I look in!  The head markings on this one are unlike any in the books so I'll go for the first winter male option.
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Minivet sp in Tai Po Kau