查看完整版本: Common / Pintail / Swinhoe's snipe ?

kyshum 9/02/2010 22:20

Common / Pintail / Swinhoe's snipe ?

6 Feb 2010
Long Valley

I find difficult to distinguish these.
1) Based on the photo attached, the bill look less than 2x head length, is it? (if less than 2x, then it is not likely Common snipe)
2) On the back, are the yellowish stripes relatively prominent? (if yes, then it is Common snipe?)
3) I checked lots of photo of Common snipe, seems they have at least four or six yellowish stripes on the back, is it true? Can this be used for distinguish the Common snipe? From the photo I take, it only have two yellowish stripes.
4) If the photo I take is not common snipe, can I say it is Pintail based on the photo of the tail? (seems have a little pin on the right side)

Thanks a lot.

cgeoff 10/02/2010 10:57

I believe this is Common Snipe. The contrast of buff super with white cheek stripe is typically shown by this species. Further, the pale mantle lines are distinctly buff and rather warm in tone.

The reason it only has two of these lines is that the bird is in moult, and one row of scapulars is almost all absent. This is why the grey bases to the feathers of the lowermost scapulars are so visible.

The 'pin' you see on the tail is not the pin referred to in the name. If you do a search on the web, I guess you should be able to locate a photo of the tail of Pintail Snipe.

Geoff

HFCheung 10/02/2010 15:11

Support Common Snipe. The pattern on the scapulars is good for Common.

HF Cheung

kyshum 10/02/2010 20:47

Thanks! 3551d5f02ecd445
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Common / Pintail / Swinhoe's snipe ?