查看完整版本: cuckoo from Ping Long, Lam Tsuen

kmike 13/04/2010 12:46

cuckoo from Ping Long, Lam Tsuen

This cuckoo was in Ping Long around 0810 this morning.

Any pointers to specific identity would be welcomed.

Cheers
Mike K

cgeoff 13/04/2010 16:25

Mike,

Looks like it might be Common.

Any other photos?

Geoff

lpaul 14/04/2010 11:18

I would say that this is an Oriental/Horsefield's rather than Common.

Not much of the underpart barring is showing (only the sides of the breast), and although this looks a little narrow there is a tendancy for the barring to be slightly narrower on the sides of the breast in most adult cuculus cuckoos.  I spent some time at the British Museum last year looking at specimens of these species (as part of the review of the first record of Common Cuckooon Po Toi) and i was stuck by the differences in the throat.  In Common the throat patch is paler (less blue) and has a lower border which is usually not well defined.  In Horsefields/Oriental the throat patch is darker, slightly bluer and typically has a very defined lower border.

Typical examples of each can be found at:

Horsefield's:

[url]http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=17&action=searchresult&Bird_ID=444&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1[/url]

Common:

[url]http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=22&action=searchresult&Bird_ID=445&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1[/url]

ajohn 14/04/2010 14:09

How useful is iris colour?
I've seen this quoted as a feature for the ID of Indian cuckoo (which supposedly has a dark iris).
Looking through the pictures on OB, it get the impression that adult Common has a yellow iris, similar to the colour of the eye ring. Iris seems to be a bit more variable in Oriental - some are dark (brownish), while others are paler (straw-colour) but still seem to be darker than on Common.

I don't know whether iris colour may be related to season or sex, or maybe individual variation. D
oes anyone know if this is a useful feature to look for?

Incidentally, the iris on the Ping Long bird looks dark, which could support the ID as Oriental/Horsfield's

lpaul 14/04/2010 14:18

Iris colour varies extensively with age, generally getting paler and yellower with age.  Photos of the Po Toi Common Cuckoo (an adult) show an orange-brown iris.

kmike 14/04/2010 18:49

Many thanks for all these comments.

I would add that the breast band did not look too narrow in the field, so I'll put it down as Horsfield's/Himalayan.

Cheers
Mike

ajohn 15/04/2010 09:30

Thanks Paul for clarifying the situation with iris colour. I thought maybe it was age-related, as pictures of juvenile Common Cuckoo on OB do all show a dark iris.
It seemed strange to me, though, that all pictures of adult Common showed a yellow iris, but those on Oriental all seemed darker (except perhaps this one [url]http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=10&action=searchresult&Bird_ID=444&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1[/url]). Perhaps just coincidence?
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: cuckoo from Ping Long, Lam Tsuen