查看完整版本: Warbler ID (Eastern Crowned Warbler)

ctakming 8/08/2010 22:39

Warbler ID (Eastern Crowned Warbler)

7 Aug 2010
Shek Kong
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4118/4871426855_bf0d8f7768.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4116/4871426849_5f1560f09a.jpg[/img]
Is it an Eastern Crowned Warbler? Thanks a lot.

wgeoff 8/08/2010 23:23

Yes, Eastern Crowned Warbler.

An earliest ever autumn record, by one day.
Previous earliest autumn was 8th August 2004 at Tai Po Kau by PWMK.

[[i] Last edited by wgeoff at 8/08/2010 23:53 [/i]]

hgeorge 9/08/2010 17:28

I saw an eariler one on 24July2001 at Tai Po Kau. Ten years ago ...

wgeoff 9/08/2010 18:06

But not reported in the 2001-02 Hong Kong Bird Report, so not an official record.

[[i] Last edited by wgeoff at 9/08/2010 18:13 [/i]]

ctakming 9/08/2010 18:15

Thank Geoff. It is a good news to me. Do I need to report it to HKBWS formally? If yes, would you please tell me how to do it.

wgeoff 9/08/2010 18:46

Although we now have a system for picking up interesting records directly from the website, it is not foolproof - I know because I am the fool who does it. It takes a long time and my attention may sometimes be distracted enough to miss a record.

If you want to be sure your records are included in Annual Reports etc, please go to 'Hong Kong List', 'Bird Record Submission Forms' on this website for details on how to submit records. My own way to do this is as follows

1. download the 'Non-rare Species Record Form'
2. update it during the year on say a weekly basis with any records you think are interesting
3. send it in at the end of the year direct to Geoff Carey, his email address is given
4. if it is a particularly unusual record (although not an official Rare Species) such as this and you have posted photos on the website, you can include a comment such as 'photos posted on website address xxxx' in the Notes column

If you have any problems, send me or cgeoff a PM.

This is a reminder to everyone that only records which appear in Annual Reports (or in Avifauna for the years up to 1998) are official HKBWS records.

This is a good record and well worth officially recording.

[[i] Last edited by wgeoff at 10/08/2010 05:47 [/i]]

ctakming 11/08/2010 16:57

Thank Geoff for the detailed reply.

cgeoff 13/08/2010 11:46

Thanks very much to Ming and GeoffW for this.

Just one small clarification I need to make. For records that extend the known period of occurrence, we usually require an 'Unusual Record Form' to be completed, with substantiation to be provided in the form of notes or photos. I've sent this to Ming.

Even though in this case this is an extension by only one day, ideally we require something. This may seem rather demanding, but, as you may imagine, if we have five such one-day extensions, then we have extended the period of occurrence by 5 days without evidence, which is less than ideal.

We do try to be as flexible as possible and judge each case on its merit, but at the same time we have be fairly sure we make an appropriate decision. We all make mistakes as observers of birds, and this is why we have a review system.

As for 24 July report, given that this would be a 2-week extension of the known period of occurrence, we certainly would require good substantion of this record.

Finally, the Records Committee would like all observers to get into the habit of submitting records at the end of each year, in the way GeoffW describes. He does a great job in trawling through the Forum, but it's inevitable some will get overlooked. I'm sure he's also got more interesting things to do with this time!

GeoffC

ctakming 15/08/2010 00:08

I have sent the completed form to GeoffC. If I have missed some information required, please email me. Thanks.
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Warbler ID (Eastern Crowned Warbler)