查看完整版本: Pipit ID?

zaku0328 28/11/2010 13:38

Pipit ID?

Please help ID this bird.  Thank you!
27Nov2010 LV

[[i] Last edited by zaku0328 at 28/11/2010 14:24 [/i]]

tsheunglai 28/11/2010 14:10

What pipit?

Your bird in the photo is a Pechora's pipit.

The wing projection, the whitish underbody and pale lore before eye (lack of dark stripe)
reveal its identiy.

Cheers

S L Tai

tsheunglai 28/11/2010 14:12

My dear friend

You've forgotten to mention the date and place you got the bird. Please do it.

S L Tai

zaku0328 28/11/2010 14:23

Dear S L Tai

Date and Location added. Thank you for your identification.3551f6eb47d3445

Stanley

fatchun 28/11/2010 14:30

I think it might be a buff-bellied pipit.
Although the bird showed orange color tone, I think that was due to the sunset or suerise.
The back of it did not show distinct streaks and the neck did show very intense black color patch.
Also, I think buff-bellied pipit might have more distinct pale lore before the eye.

Thats my own opinion, any suggestion is appreciated. Thank you.

Chun

lchunfai 28/11/2010 15:02

I agree with Chun
According to Colins Bird Guide , Pechora's pipit should have broad whitish mantle stripes on the back
Also the eye-ring and supercilium , which looks like buff-bellied pitpit to me

Of course , thats my own opinion

I saw one buff-bellied pitpit in LV today too , near the paddy fields

kmatthew 28/11/2010 15:30

yup, a Buff-bellied for me too!

tsheunglai 28/11/2010 15:50

for those who've given comments after mine and others

I now withdraw my comments for the following reasons.

First the bird does not show primary projection beyond the tertials. What shows beyond the tertials
are just uppertail coverts at a closer look.

Second, the back lacks blackish/dark stripes that contrast with whitish/very pale ones.

However, albiet a buff-bellied, it is certainly atypical for lack of gray overcast on head, headside
and lesser wing coverts.

I would certainly like comments from experts like members of the record committee of the society
to decide the issue.

S L Tai

zaku0328 28/11/2010 16:11

Dear All

Thank you for your comments and identification!3551f6eb47d3445

Best regards

Stanley

Tony 28/11/2010 16:35

Agree that it is a Buff-bellied pipit.

EricB 28/11/2010 19:44

Lovely photo of  a very interesting bird. Thanks.

As previously mentioned the bird has pale lores. This  implies it is either  a Buff bellied, Pechora, Red throated ,Richard’s , Blyths  Paddyfield, or Spragues
There are many reasons why it is not any of the last four species – heavy flank streaking  rule them out  immediately. Pechora is ruled out as Sheung Lai has said - the primaries do not project beyond the tertials, a key feature of Pechora.

We are left with Red throated or Buff bellied.

Streaking of the rump the rump/uppertail coverts are a key feature in singling out the Red throated –Pechora complex.  I am not aware that Buff bellied Pipits  can have a streaked rump – I don’t think it can but I don’t know this as a  fact.
This bird appears to have streaks on the upper tail coverts but the image of the area is sub optimal – have you got more pictures , particularly showing the lower back/rump?

The mantle is problematic. I think these are retained juvenile feathers giving an odd appearance.  This is not in keeping with Red throated  and more suggestive of Buff bellied , as Chun has eluded to. More images would help. Chun has also eluded to the fact that the overall tones of this bird are warmer and less grey than would be expected in Buff belied japonicus, this is more Red throated like but could be a lighting artefact.

I am getting some rufous tones in the ear coverts , which can be seen in 1st winter red throats but not [i]japonicus[/i]. It’s a soft sign (ie doesn’t help much)

The complete eye ring and large black patch on the sides of the neck would do for both Red throated and Buff bellied.

Overall opinion: Could be either a Red throated or Buff bellied . Great picture, could we have more? This would help!

e-Ric

[[i] Last edited by RUWright at 28/11/2010 19:47 [/i]]

zaku0328 28/11/2010 20:25

Dear All

Two more photos, that all I have.

Regards

Stanley
[img]http://images5.fotop.net/albums5/stanleyhui0328/Wallpaper/DSH_1006.jpg[/img]

[[i] Last edited by zaku0328 at 28/11/2010 20:29 [/i]]

EricB 28/11/2010 21:26

A few more questions.
Q1.Did you see the rump and if so were there  streaks?

Q2.Was this photo taken in early morning or late afternoon light ie do the colours seem warmer because of the time of day/lighting?

Q3.Did the bird look greyish or more olive brown?

Q4.Do you think it might have been a Red throated or did you see or hear something that made it unlikely?

Cheers,
eRic

zaku0328 28/11/2010 21:41

Dear eRic

Q1.sorry I did not see the rump

Q2.taken in 16:03 yesterday (sunny day) at LV

Q3.olive brown

Q4.sorry I've no idea, I never seen Red throated nor buff-bellied before.

Regards

Stanley

ddavid 28/11/2010 22:14

I am confident that this is Buff-bellied Pipit Anthus (rubescens) japonicus. The prominent eye-ring, pale lores, large dark patch on the side of the throat, and fairly uniform grey mantle (albeit with darker centered feathers - but no pale "tramlines" c.f. Red-throated Pipit) are typical of this species, which now appears to be a regular winter visitor to Hong Kong. Long Valley is probably the best place to see it.

dave

EricB 29/11/2010 02:23

I agree the mantle looks out side the realms of probability for Red throated and fairly typical for Buff bellied.The complete eye ring, pale lores, and neck patch are features for both species.Perhaps the upper tail coverts aren't streaked and the warmish tones are all induced by the low lying sun. Sorry, I've reached the limit of my knowledge on the subject.  
With kind regards
eRic

[[i] Last edited by RUWright at 29/11/2010 06:51 [/i]]

lpaul 29/11/2010 08:42

I would agree that this is a Buff-bellied Pipit, pretty much for the reasons quoted by davidd.
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Pipit ID?