查看完整版本: Warbler ID pls

mguy 19/12/2010 09:35

Warbler ID pls

If somebody could help me with this... I am even worse with warblers than I am with thrushes & flycatchers
[img]http://lamma.hk/Images_2010/D3B_2924.jpg[/img]
18/12/201 - Lamma Island - North facing hillside near water

subbuteo 19/12/2010 10:05

I think it's a Japanese Bush Warbler (Cettia diphone).  I'm not sure if that is the current English name being used.  The colours look nice and bright- and it's out in the open which is unlikely for a Bradypterus species.  I can't rule out Brown-flanked Bush Warbler though.  These are birds you never seem to get a good look at- hopefully one of the ringers has seen them properly.

Dylan

[[i] Last edited by subbuteo at 19/12/2010 10:10 [/i]]

mguy 19/12/2010 22:39

Thanks Dylan..... if it helps it made a call like a wooden rattle similar to the Red-throated Flycatcher but louder and sharper

GUy

HFCheung 20/12/2010 11:41

The call fits Manchurian Bush (Japanese Bush) Warbler, but not that of Brown-flanked Bush Warbler.

HF Cheung

brendank 20/12/2010 11:58

Agree that is a rather "dark" Manchurian Bush Warbler.  The tail looks rather thick and long--too much so for Brownish-flanked Bush Warbler. But it would be easy to confuse this bird if you only had a quick glance.

mguy 20/12/2010 12:07

Thanks all..... I was thinking Manchurian Bush Warbler except seemed rather dark compared to one I photographed last year.... will post as "Manchurian" unless otherwise informed.
All the best, Guy

subbuteo 20/12/2010 15:29

Thanks for the name correction, Manchurian it is.  I've found the Brownish-flanked (Mountain?) Bush Warbler often includes a short clear note when it is calling from cover.  Its song starts off with a long clear note with a short explosive song at the end;  I heard several singing in the short bamboo above Ng Tung Chai last January.  

Dylan
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Warbler ID pls