查看完整版本: Wader ID

Tony 18/01/2011 09:35

Wader ID

Mai Po San Tsuen
16Jan2011

Can anyone help with this ID? It is from a long distance which I am not very sure about what it is.

kmatthew 18/01/2011 12:11

A Wilson's Phalarope?? At least that's what it looks like at first sight for me!!3551a50445 Or, it maybe a swimming Spotted Redshank...but the front looks a bit pale for a Spotted Redshank.

[[i] Last edited by kmatthew at 18/01/2011 12:15 [/i]]

Tony 18/01/2011 12:27

[quote]Original posted by [i]kmatthew[/i] at 18/01/2011 12:11 [url=http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/redirect.php?goto=findpost&pid=37313&ptid=13180][img]http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/images/common/back.gif[/img][/url]
A Wilson's Phalarope?? At least that's what it looks like at first sight for me!!3551a50445 Or, it maybe a swimming Spotted Redshank...but the front looks a bit pale for a Spotted Redshank. [/quote]

MAtthew, I have the same guess of Spotted Redshank...it is really pale for it from the sight....

fatchun 18/01/2011 14:41

I have the same feeling as what Matthew does!
It looks very like a Phalarope, but I thing the plumage color is a bit difficult to tell clearly.
Tony, do you get other photos of it? Thanks for posting this interesting bird.

Tony 18/01/2011 16:39

I hope I have another photo of it...

ajohn 18/01/2011 19:28

It looks like a Spotted Redshank to me.
I think Wilson's Phalarope would sit higher in the water. Also, I think the head pattern is wrong (lores too dark, supercilium too prominent) and I think I can see a hint of red at the base of the bill. I don't see any problem with the rest of the plumage being Spotted Redshank (winter plumage birds can look fairly pale), the structure looks just right, and it is not at all unusual to see this species swimming.

Of course, this one photo isn't great, and more photos may help to clinch the ID for sure.

EricB 21/01/2011 06:46

This is a ‘classic’ case where size matters.Over the years I’ve heard of some mind boggling misidentifications; mainly brought about by peering down the telescope for too long, oblivious to how big the bird really is.  Perhaps the craziest  one I ever heard was on an Alaskan tour where an excited birder goes to the leader – ‘I think I’ve got a Gyrfalcon’ .The leader peers down the scope to see a zoomed in Snow Bunting!  

I too think I can see red at the base of the bill – which rules out Wilsons.

The proportions are all wrong for Wilsons. Bill too long and  thick, neck too fat and too long, tail end looks too low. It almost looks as if you can see the white up the lower back – but perhaps it’s just a reflection in the water behind.

This is a Spotted Redshank in non breeding plumage. As you know they quite commonly swim and even upend! The Tringas  & Phalarope  are closely related; the group is thought to have split about 22 million years ago. When we see Spotted Reds swimming , is it because they are a more primitive arm of this group or are they exploiting a specific niche and ‘evolving back’? Either way we’ll have to wait a little longer till a 3rd Phalarope hits the HK list.

eRic

[[i] Last edited by RUWright at 21/01/2011 07:07 [/i]]

brendank 23/01/2011 22:11

Who knows? Maybe Wilson's Phalarope are sold as a cage bird now.

EricB 25/01/2011 07:11

It’s a free world. I don’t care if anyone wants to call a marshmallow a  Wilson’s Phalarope, as long as they don’t drag anyone else in to the delusion!
eRic
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Wader ID