查看完整版本: Skylark sp. ID please

ivantse 20/03/2011 23:00

Skylark sp. ID please

There are two birds of skylark sp. found in LV today.
But these are difficult to distinguish Eurasian or Oriental for me.
Please help.

[IMG]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac162/tseivan/DSC_0045.jpg[/IMG]

ajohn 20/03/2011 23:48

The easiest feature on a photo such as this is the primary projection (the length of primary visible beyond the tertials). It is relatively long on the bird shown here, indicating that this is a Eurasian Skylark (the other bird almost certainly also is Eurasian). Oriental Skylark would show virtually no primary projection beyond the tertials.

Other useful features to look for are the white trailing edge to the wing of Eurasian and the different call.

Although it used to be a regular species and even used to breed, Oriental Skylark is now a very rare bird in Hong Kong. Virtually all confirmed records in recent years have been Eurasian.

messenger879 21/03/2011 07:47

re : Skylark

They are found all over this few weeks.. in NSW , Middle Gap as well .
I have a few shot of them .[attach]8525[/attach]

ajohn 21/03/2011 08:35

Note that this last photo is not a Skylark, but a Dusky Thrush. Skylarks would never perch in trees in this way, and also the markings (white supercilium, black mottling on underparts, etc.) is more well marked than a skylark.
It has been a good winter for Dusky Thrush, and it is perhaps more likely that this is the species you've been seeing at Nam Sang Wai, Middle Gap, etc.

messenger879 22/03/2011 22:03

i see .. thank you for correcting ..thx ..!! what about the next posting below .. [attach]8536[/attach]

Beetle 22/03/2011 22:09

This photo is an olive-backed pipit
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Skylark sp. ID please