查看完整版本: Xinjiang, early April

subbuteo 12/04/2012 20:52

Xinjiang, early April

Unfortunately not a birding trip I did what I could!  It was still cool, trees were in blossom but few in leaf.  The difference between the agricultural/town areas and the national park was stunning- suddenly there were birds.

[b]Xian[/b]- park around city walls

Tree Sparrow
Phyllosc sp
Azure-winged Magpie
Daurian Redstart
Starling sp
White-winged Grosbeak?  Definitely a grosbeak, a small beaked one but right in the city centre park, dark head and chest, white wing spot.  Unexpected.
Rock Dove (feral)
Magpie
White Wagtail

[b]Dongguan[/b]

Sauxal Sparrow
Tree Sparrow
Desert Finch
Collared Dove
Rock Dove
White-crowned Penduline Tit?  Unfortunately, I didn't know there was such a thing at the time so can't be certain of the id.  There were several (20+) feeding in the trees along at Mogao Caves

[b]Urumqi to Turpan[/b]

Kestrel x2
Tree sparrow
Chinese Blackbird
Collared Dove
Great Cormorant
Desert Finch
Hoopoe
Isabelline Shrike
Laughing Dove
Pallas' Fish Eagle
Isabelline Wheatear? can't be sure!
Mallard
Dark-throated Thrush

[b]Kashgar[/b]

Desert Finch
Rook
Magpie
Carrion Cow
Staling
Tree Sparrow
Isabelline Shrike
White Wagtail
Laughing Dove
Collared Dove

[b]Tian Shan, Heavenly Lake[/b](in the snow! Lake frozen and in the clouds)

Goosander (pair on a small pond on the way up)
Black-eared Kite (several)
Mistle Thrush
Song Thrush
Treecreeper
Buzzard sp
Carrion Crow
Azure Tut- stunning!
Turkestan Tit
Grey Wagtail
White-throated Dipper - several singing and chasing each other along the river at the entrance to the park.
Another tit sp- see attached photos

I am not a photographer- these were taken with a compact camera and cropped.

Dylan

[[i] Last edited by subbuteo at 12/04/2012 20:57 [/i]]

lpaul 13/04/2012 09:25

Dylan,

The Blackbird in Xinjiang is not Chinese Blackbird, it is the subspecies intermedius which is essentially a Central Asian taxon.  It is vocally and sturcturally distinct from Chinse Blackbird which is restricted to southern and eastern China.

subbuteo 13/04/2012 10:22

Thanks, Paul.

Any idea what the tit in the last three pictures is?  I know they are grim images but I only have the MacKinnon book here- eye-browed and rusty-breasted tit are the only ones with a dark belly/flanks.  But the rusty-breasted is in central China and this one doesn't have an eyebrow.  Could it be a [i]songarus[/i] willow tit?

Great place- I want to go back and do proper birding trip, I was limited in time and location, I am sure I missed a lot and probably was a few of weeks early for most migrants.

Dylan

PS also in Kashgar there were what I think were Common Swift over the town.

lpaul 13/04/2012 12:12

On range it can only be Songar Tit.
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Xinjiang, early April