查看完整版本: pls id

samchang 19/02/2013 21:02

pls id

15Feb, LV. Pechora Pipit? From the back pattern, it can't be Olive-backed. and it can't be Red-throated because of the color. I don't expect to see Pechora though...

brendank 19/02/2013 21:45

Red-throated Pipit

samchang 20/02/2013 20:51

Thanks. But the bottom is so white... Is it just because of the thick streaks on breast to identify it?

badesc 20/02/2013 22:20

The white underparts precisely point to Red-throated, rather than to Pechora Pipit. The latter would probably show a more buffish wash on the breast, contrasting with its white belly.

The main character of Pechora, apart from the diagnostic call, is the fact that it is the only pipit which shows a primary-projection. This is, for example, visible in this picture: [url]http://www.christurnerbirds.co.uk/photo.asp?id=486&g=Wales.[/url] You can see the (three) tertials and two tips of the primaries, at the base of the tail. In all other pipits the tertials cover the primaries so there is no primary-projection (except if the longest tertial would be partially broken, not fully grown or very worn, of course).

In the bird on the picture I cannot see any primary-tips.

The bill would be a bit stronger, with a pinkish base for Pechora. And the upperparts would have a more rufous-tinged tone.

I think the pattern of the streaks on the breast is equal in both species.

Not all Red-throated Pipits show a red throat. First calendar year birds generally show no red at all and females in this time of the year can lack any red as well. A female Blackbird isn't black either ;-).

samchang 24/02/2013 22:04

Thanks! I think I need a better book for more detail description...
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: pls id