查看完整版本: pls id

samchang 2/06/2013 13:51

pls id

MP, 25May. Lesser Sand Plover (atrifrons)?

HFCheung 3/06/2013 11:21

Too blur for good ID, but it looks like Greater Sand Plover to me.

ajohn 3/06/2013 13:14

Yes, I agree with Greater Sand Plover.
Because it is largely in breeding plumage, the best clue on this bird is the breast band. On this bird the breast band is typically very narrow and even width across the breast. Lesser Sand Plover (including [i]atrifrons[/i]) has a broader breast band, often spreading onto the belly/flanks. The long, heavy bill of this bird also looks typical for Greater Sand Plover.
Beware that Greater Sand Plover in Hong Kong can sometimes show an almost complete black forehead, which could cause confusion with [i]atrifrons[/i] (although it's not clear if this bird has white on the forehead or not). It is better to rely on several features rather than only the forehead pattern.

John Holmes 4/06/2013 12:33

"atrifrons" Lesser Sand Plover

FWIW, here is an "atrifrons" Lesser Sandplover - with a broader breast band as described by ajohn above

MPNR 21st May 2012

ajohn 4/06/2013 14:22

Thanks John. This bird also shows the bill structure well - compare it against the long, heavy bill typical of Greater Sand Plover.

samchang 4/06/2013 21:47

Thanks all for your advice. I was wondering what is the extend of wide breast-band and the image for the atrifrons told the difference. Thanks again!
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: pls id