查看完整版本: pls id

samchang 2/06/2013 14:06

pls id

MP, 25May. Kentish Plover?

kkchang168 2/06/2013 21:56

I don't think so. My understanding is Little Ringed Plover, Kentish Plover, Common Ringed Plover and Long-billed Plover all have a white neck wing. That is there should be a white line at the back of the neck. (I am only learning to identify the birds for a few months only, so my understanding may not correct, please correct me if I am wrong) In the photo, I do not think that there is white neck wing at the back of the neck, so it should be either Lesser Sand Plover or Greater Sand Plover. As you have other picture of the breeding Lesser Sand Plover, I think it is a non-breeding Lesser Sand Plover. My guess only. Would appreciate other to correct me. I treat it as an exercise of identifying birds only, so I would more than happy that other tell me I am wrong. Thanks

ajohn 3/06/2013 08:25

KK is correct that the lack of a white neck ring rules out Kentish and Little Ringed Plovers (and Common Ringed and Long-billed, which in any case are much rarer). This individual is slightly confusing because the back of the neck is pale, which could be confused with the neck ring, but it is still definitely brownish along the neck. So, I agree that this is one of the Sand Plovers in non-breeding plumage.

Sand Plover ID in non-breeding plumage is not easy. Both species share many plumage features, so it is important to look at structure. I recommend anyone to get familiar with the structure of breeding plumaged birds, which helps with ID of non-breeding birds. In the case of this individual, the bill is rather long and heavy-looking with a sharply pointed tip. The body is not held particularly upright and the head seems fairly 'square'. These features all add up to this being a non-breeding plumaged Greater Sand Plover.

Given the time of year, the fact that this bird is in non-breeding plumage and is still at Mai Po indicates that this is a first-summer bird (i.e. hatched in 2012) that will not breed this year.

kkchang168 5/06/2013 16:00

Thanks John. I think I really learn much from you. I think my books do not mention the "round" or "square" head. Although they have mention the bill structure, but I think I need to watch them more to really understand the difference. Thanks again.

ajohn 6/06/2013 09:00

Be careful with head structure, as it is a very variable feature according to the individual and the mood of the bird. Some Greater Sand Plovers (probably females) seem to have a rounder head and 'gentler' expression, and so can look a bit more like Lessers. Lesser Sand Plover of the [i]atrifrons[/i] group often do not seem as round-headed as the [i]mongolus[/i] group. It is best used as a supporting feature along with other features. Bill structure is very important.
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: pls id