查看完整版本: pls id

samchang 29/06/2013 22:23

pls id

Kowloon Park, 22Jun. Is there any easy way to know if it is a Greater Coucal or Lesser Coucal?

John Holmes 1/07/2013 16:02

Coucal query

Lesser Coucal is described in "HK Birds" (1974 edition) by G. Herklots as "..smaller size, somewhat duller colours and more streaky appearance..".

I think this is a Greater Coucal.

samchang 1/07/2013 22:09

John, thanks. The problem I got is, all those characteristics are basically comparative description. If I got a chance to see both together, maybe I understand the difference. But with single entity in a picture, I wonder if there is anything more specific that can help to identify it.

kkchang168 2/07/2013 00:30

Is eyes of Greater Councal is red while eyes of Lesser Councal is black?

ajohn 2/07/2013 09:51

Yes, iris colour is different - adult Greater Coucal have bright red eyes (as on this bird).
The other good indicator on this bird is the mantle (back) - this bird is very plain brown, whereas Lesser Coucal would normally show paler streaks on the centre of the feathers.

And habitat is always useful - Lesser Coucal is unusual away from areas of dry grassland (mostly on the hills in HK) and would be very unusual in an urban park. Greater is common in any shrubby area, especially lowlands, and would not be surprising in Kowloon Park.

samchang 2/07/2013 21:05

Thanks for the detail explanation! 3551smile445
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: pls id