查看完整版本: Mai Po Broadwalk

kkchang168 26/09/2013 08:16

Mai Po Broadwalk

I think it is a stupid question. But I really cannot distinguish different kind of sandpiper. Is the one in the photo a Green Sandpiper or Grey-tailed Tattler? I think it is a Grey-tailed Tattler because in book it said Green Sandpiper look like Common Sandpiper at rest, but it don't. But on the other hand the tail of it is not grey, so it may not be a Grey-tailed Tattler. Or is it other kind? Thanks for anyone's input.

[attach]15712[/attach]

The photo was taken on 2013-09-26

ajohn 26/09/2013 08:54

It is a Grey-tailed Tattler. Compared to other sandpipers in HK, these tend to look rather uniformly grey all over, including the rump and tail (there is some barring on the tail, but not as obvious as other species). Other good features are the relatively short, thick, yellowish legs, the heavy bill and the long wings.

Green Sandpiper should be much more contrasting - darker above and whiter below, with a well defined separation between these on the breast. The rump would be white and the tail white with obvious dark bars. There should also be an obvious white eye-ring. They are also mostly a bird of freshwater wetlands, and are very rare on the mudflat (and in fact are uncommon on the reserve at Mai Po, being easier to see in fishponds nearby).

kkchang168 26/09/2013 18:03

Thank you very much ajoin again. Each time you have so patient to teach me how to identify the birds. Thanks once again.

QWERTYALEX 27/09/2013 12:34

When can you go to Mai PO and get permit?

I noticed you were at Mai PO on a Thursday?
I didn't know you can get permit on a weekday?
I thought just weekend.
How do you get a midweek permit for Mai PO?

Thanks for any info

kkchang168 28/09/2013 00:07

You can apply for a yearly permit if you are a HKBWS member.
Refer to the following link for detail information.

[url]http://www.hkbws.org.hk/web/chi/documents/new_member_maipo_notice.pdf[/url]
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Mai Po Broadwalk