查看完整版本: Po Toi Birding

hdmiller 25/10/2013 15:09

Po Toi Birding

I'm new to this forum. I've never been to Po Toi for birding and would like some advice on which areas to concentrate my efforts.

wgeoff 25/10/2013 18:11

Fortunately the best areas on Po Toi are quite close to the Ferry Pier and easy to identify - just look for any large trees.

This map shows the best areas shaded in green with paths marked in brown and red.

[img]http://www.geoffwelch46.com/PoToiMapAsm.jpg[/img]

The ferry arrives at the pier marked 'i'.

The immediate area of large trees around the pier is the first place to look, both left and right of the pier.
Then take the path going straight ahead from the pier, it winds upwards, take the concrete steps which go off to the right up to a cafe. The large trees in all this area can have migrants. Go through the cafe and up the main dirt path, stop when that becomes a concrete path, the area around this path up to this point can also be quite good but not beyond.

Retrace your steps back to the cafe, down the concrete steps and turn right, go round and up the steps, near the top is a set of steps leading upwards on the right. These go past two derelict school buildings, all the trees around that area and up a little past the upper school building are good.

Retrace your steps back to the main path, turn right, go over the hill and down across a bridge to the restaurant (marked with a dot on the map) next to a small river and pond area.
Just past the restaurant is a path to the right which leads to the toilet and helipad. All the trees and bushes around this path and the helipad can have migrants.

Retrace your steps back to the restaurant and turn right. The tall trees behind the derelict buildings on your right can be good, you have to get as close as you can. Go up to the corner where the path turns left, look around the trees at the corner, then retrace your steps back to the restaurant.

Go into the restaurant for a well-earned beer.
But don't miss the ferry, you may get stuck on the island for two days (actually not a bad idea)

[img]http://www.geoffwelch46.com/FerryServiceP.jpg[/img]

The Ferry schedule doesn't give you much time, except on Sunday. The Ferry leaves from the Tsui Wah Ferry Pier on the Aberdeen waterfront, about 200 yards from the Fish Market and opposite the bus depot but you have to cross under or over the main road.

I should be back on Po Toi on Tuesday and Thursday from 5 November, if you see me just ask.
Otherwise ask any photographer on the Island what they have seen. They will say 'nothing' then show you a photo of a HK First Record. It's happened to me several times.

[[i] Last edited by wgeoff at 25/10/2013 18:15 [/i]]

hdmiller 25/10/2013 18:25

Po Toi Birding

Wow- thanks very much for this very thorough response Geoff!! Looking forward to it.
HM.

wgeoff 25/10/2013 20:19

I'm just passionate about the place, and very frustrated at not being able to get there at the moment.
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Po Toi Birding