查看完整版本: Narcissus Flycather

wingwing 25/05/2014 23:23

Narcissus Flycather

10/5/2014  PT

wgeoff 26/05/2014 05:40

Apart from the second photo, I would have thought this was a good candidate for the Ryukyu Island subspecies [i]owstoni[/i].

Are you sure the second photograph is the same bird? It looks orange vs yellow is the other photos.

[[i] Last edited by wgeoff at 26/05/2014 06:04 [/i]]

wingwing 26/05/2014 16:55

Due to the bird flew away and came back in few minutes in several time so I cant realize that is the same bird or not.Also I attach
tow photo for reference

wgeoff 26/05/2014 18:38

Thanks wingwing, I think it's the same bird, just a lighting issue.

I'll submit it for review by the Records Committee as a possible [i]owstoni[/i]

ajohn 27/05/2014 08:47

Geoff,
I'm interested in why you think this is [i]owstoni[/i]. When I saw the pictures I assumed it was a first-summer male [i]narcissina[/i]. It may just be my screen, but the upperparts look grey-brown rather than olive-green, the underparts do seem to have an orange tint (although I admit not as strong as typical [i]narcissina[/i]) and the pattern of white on the wing looks typical for [i]narcissina[/i]. I also thought the late date would favour [i]narcissina[/i].

Identification of first-summer males of these (sub)species is not straight-forward and the ID notes on the Birds Korea website highlight that [i]owstoni[/i] is variable at this age. I wondered if there was some important ID features I might have missed on this bird.

wgeoff 28/05/2014 06:38

I was looking particularly at the first and now the last photos above and comparing with the photo of [i]owstoni[/i] on page 145 of the 2005-06 HKBR.
I agree, some of the other photos look rather different.

But it's not up to me to decide. I just collect records for the Records Committee to take the decision. As I said above, I'll just submit it as 'possible' - as you say, identification is not straightforward and it's sometimes as useful to have 'not accepted' on the record as it is to have 'accepted'.

[[i] Last edited by wgeoff at 28/05/2014 07:03 [/i]]
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Narcissus Flycather