查看完整版本: Spring 2015 at Shing Mun/Lead Mine Pass

tsheunglai 16/04/2015 20:11

Spring 2015 at Shing Mun/Lead Mine Pass

[b][size=5][color=Black][/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=4][color=DarkOliveGreen]Monday, 13th April, 2015[/color][/size][/b]
[b][color=DarkGreen]Sunny and cool, from 19 Celcius to 25 towards noon[/color]
[/color][/b]
[/color][/size][/b][b][size=4][color=DarkSlateGray]Nice Spring Mornings Bring Few Surprises[/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=4][color=DimGray]Migrants stay short and few land for rest and food[/color][/size][/b]

Absence from the place made my walk around the area fonder but birding rendered no good finds.

At top of Pineapple Dam I found [b][size=4][color=DarkOrchid]a Chinese heron [/color][/size][/b]in breeding plumage making short movements on treetops. No other egrets or herons were found for the rest of the morning. [b][size=4][color=DarkOrchid]An Ashy drongo[/color][/size][/b] was heard, a late stayer or spring migrant nowhere to tell.

When I returned from Picnic Site No. 8 I found [b][size=4][color=Purple]two female Hainan blue flycatchers [/color][/size][/b]vying for a breeding spot. One was seen flying near the other until the latter flew across the road, a phenomenon first-time seen different from the usual scenes of males' territorial rivalry.

S L Tai

[[i] Last edited by tsheunglai at 16/04/2015 20:58 [/i]]

tsheunglai 22/04/2015 21:37

[b][size=4][color=Black]Wednesday, April 22nd, 2015[/color][/size][/b]
[b][size=4][color=Silver]Overcast with spells of sunlight, from 22 Celsius to 26, North-Northeasterly

[/color][/size][/b][b][size=4][color=DarkSlateGray]Cold-front and unclear sky stop migrants from flying past over
[/color][/size][/b][b][size=4][color=Navy]Better sightings of forest migrants[/color][/size][/b]

The first migrants sighted were three [b][size=4][color=DarkOrchid]breeding-plumaged Cattle-egrets [/color][/size][/b]resting above the catchment area above Visitors' Centre, with a total of five seen for the morning.

It was on top of a sharp-topped tall tree that [b][size=4][color=DarkOrchid]an Asian brown flycatcher [/color][/size][/b]was seen, behaving like a new-arrival - resting steadily with just one aerial round or two before flying off. It was shortly jointed by [b][size=4][color=Purple]a Grey-streaked flycatcher [/color][/size][/b]which was more active with aerial food feeding.

The third flycatcher was [b][size=4][color=Purple]a male Hainan blue flycatcher [/color][/size][/b]which was holding territory waiting for a female to join him.

It was noteworthy to mention here that at least [b][size=4][color=DarkOrchid]two Collared crows [/color][/size][/b]-a near-threatened species -seen on the dry slope of the reservoir.

S L Tai

[[i] Last edited by tsheunglai at 23/04/2015 20:57 [/i]]

wgeoff 23/04/2015 06:30

The first Grey-streaked Flycatcher reported this spring
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Spring 2015 at Shing Mun/Lead Mine Pass