查看完整版本: Please help ID (Sabah)

msamuel 10/12/2018 17:40

Please help ID (Sabah)

Please kindly help ID the following birds taken in Sabah, October 2018:

msamuel 16/12/2018 15:12

Much appreciate any suggestions for some of the bird ids if not all.

andrewb1967 19/08/2019 21:26

Can you give locations? Were they photographed in the same place?

andrewb1967 20/08/2019 15:51

No reply from you about locations. It could be pretty important in a couple of cases here. It looks like you took quite a few of these shots on the coast, perhaps in mangroves? Anyway, here goes:

1. Barred Eagle Owl
2. a Bulbul - maybe Red-eyed? hard to say. rather rich brown colour could just be saturation.
3. I thought this was a Brown-throated Sunbird at first but eyering is not pronounced, iris and legs look black, so maybe female Crimson Sunbird
4. Orange-bellied Flowerpecker
5. either Abbott's or Horsfield's Babbler - Abbott's if seen in mangroves/by a river, etc.
6. any more shots of this & location? - I don't know what it is, but it looks more like a Babbler than a Bulbul
7. again, any more shots? - I'm not sure what it is, but one possibilty is Red-eyed Bulbul
8. female Brown-throated Sunbird (unless seen inland in good forest)
9. female Copper-throated Sunbird
10. a Flycatcher but need more clues - any more images? how big was it?
11. again, any more images? - it reminds me a little of Yellow-rumped Flycatcher but that's a very rare bird in Borneo, I think. Narcissus also possible

[[i] Last edited by andrewb1967 at 28/09/2019 13:12 [/i]]

msamuel 7/10/2019 15:33

andrewb1967

Don't expect to get response after almost one year.  Sorry for the late reply.
All photos were taken at the Rainforest Discovery Centre or the nearby resort I stayed which has man-made lakes.
My current attention is drawn to other areas that I need some time to check out the photos again.

Thanks.  Samuel

msamuel 7/10/2019 17:06

2. Red-eyed bulbul! Doesn't look quite right to me, too greenish underpart.  That is the only photo unfortunately
6. Two more photos attached.  The second one may not be the same bird, but appeared around.
7. One more photo attached.  I think it is red-eyed.  Looks different from bird 2.
10. Two more photos attached.  Unfortunately, side view too blur.
11. One photo attached.

Thanks again, andrewb1967.  Samuel

andrewb1967 15/10/2019 12:25

Hi Samuel,

I've just seen your replies. Will get back to you later today.

Best,

Andrew

andrewb1967 15/10/2019 15:43

Hello again,

Thanks for the additional images, which helped a lot. It sounds like you might have stayed in the same place as me.

2. My first thought for this one was Charlotte's Bulbul (a split from Buff-vented), but I changed my mind and edited the post as it didn't seem to have a streaked crown or pale eye. Looking again, I think it IS Charlotte's.

5. After looking at your additional image of no. 6, I realised this was the same species. All 3 images show Grey-cheeked Bulbul.

The extra image you posted is not this species but either Abbott's or Horsfield's. I'm leaning towards Horsfield's. Interestingly, according to the Avibase checklist for Sepilok Forest, only Horsfield's occurs, but Abbott's is on the eBird checklist. It would help to know exactly where you saw it, and do you have any more images?

7. Yes, Red-eyed Bulbul.

10-11. One of the extra images you posted shows the tell-tale rufous tones on the tail, pointing to Narcissus Flycatcher, and I think both birds are this species.

[[i] Last edited by andrewb1967 at 15/10/2019 15:44 [/i]]
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Please help ID (Sabah)