查看完整版本: Injured/Sick BFS : 09 Jan 2008

WWF Mai Po 9/01/2008 10:46

Injured/Sick BFS : 09 Jan 2008

This morning there was an injured/sick Black-faced Spoonbill near [i]gei wai[/i] #16/17. The bird appeared to have something wrong with its feet which looked twisted together. I walked to within 10m of the bird, but it had enough energy to fly away into southern Mai Po. I suspect the bird has problems feeding due to the foot/leg problem.

If the Spoonbill could be captured, KFBG would probably take it in for treatment, so if you see it please could you report its location back to either Bena Smith (3193 7511) or Katherine Leung (3193 7510) for follow up.

Many thanks,

[b]WWF Mai Po Office[/b]

WWF Mai Po 10/01/2008 18:42

The injured Spoonbill was picked up on Pond #20 this evening and sent over to Kadoorie Farm for treatment from their vets.

The bird was found entangled in fishing line and appeared to have a fish hook in its throat. The fishing line had cut into the right wing quite badly and the bird seemed thin and weak.

Fingers crossed for a recovery!

ajohn 11/01/2008 14:04

How unfortunate that this bird was found at the time of the international Black-faced spoonbill census.
I understand that the bird has had an operation at KFBG this morning to remove the fish hook. Let's hope the injuries are not too severe and the bird will eventually make a full recovery.

Coincidentally, I found a (dead) Great Egret near San Tin this morning, hanging from a fish hook in its throat.
It's terrible that this cruel practice of setting hooks around fishponds still continues in Hong Kong.
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Injured/Sick BFS : 09 Jan 2008