查看完整版本: Nepal Chitwan National Park

twing 19/01/2008 00:26

Nepal Chitwan National Park

I will go to Nepal Chiwan National Park for Birdwatching in the Chinese New Year. Any recommendations on the bird guide? and where can I buy the field guide for birds in Nepal?

Thanks.

wcaptain 20/01/2008 23:21

Try the main street in Central Thamel. If you have Lonely Planet, it is B2-3 on the map on p136 (Eng version). I saw some in last yr. Cheers, Captain

John Holmes 21/01/2008 08:27

Field Guide "Birds of Nepal"

Hi Wing,

There is a "Field guide to the Birds of Nepal" by R.Grimmet, C.Inskipp and T.Inskipp,   published by Helm in the UK.

I think the plates are adapted from "Pocket guide to the Birds of the Indian Subcontinent" by the same authors.

Hong Kong Bookshops can be disappointing when you're trying to get field guides - perhaps Amazon or similar online service will have these ?

Or follow Captain's suggestion and try to get one in Nepal.

Rgds
John

twing 21/01/2008 22:49

Thanks Captain and John for your sharing.  :lol:  Have you employed a bird watching guide?

John Holmes 22/01/2008 06:27

Bird guides in Nepal

Hi Wing,

I've never been to Nepal !  

Hiring a local guide (in most countries) is usually good value for money - the good ones know where the best birds are.

John

wcaptain 22/01/2008 09:19

Wing,

It depends on your target birds and birding effort. If you are a twitcher then search on the web and join tailor-made birding tour.

If you just go to Chitwan and sleep inside the reserve, there should be in-house birding guide in every camp inside the reserve. If not planning to stay inside the reserve, the only option is joining jungle tour and bird as much as you can.

If you will hike in the mountain, probably it is difficult to find a birding guide. But you could send a message in the Oriental Bird Club e-message group. Some locals may help you.

For me, I just bird watched while hiking without a guide. It should be ok if you have certain level of birding skill, fit enough and do some homework before the trip.

Good luck,

Captain

twing 22/01/2008 22:35

I will spend 2 days in Chitwan and sleep within the reserve.

Thanks, I am not very good at bird watching and will employ a in-house bird guide to maximize the number of bird species in the limited time.

Once again, thanks for the information of John and Captain.

Wing
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Nepal Chitwan National Park