查看完整版本: (Greater?) Sand plover

handrew 8/04/2008 20:16

(Greater?) Sand plover

I photographed this bird at MPNR on 8th April 2008 (i.e. today) from the New Hide at about 7.45am

[img]http://www.pbase.com/andrew57/image/95330891/original.jpg[/img]

I think it is Greater sandplover but would welcome other views, positive or negative.

TIA

Andrew

hkwongkit 8/04/2008 21:56

Good to meet you today, Andrew!
I think you're correct on the id.
BTW you could have posted your image directly on this Forum under the 'Add an Attachment' ...  :wink:

handrew 9/04/2008 06:13

Thanks KK. Yes I know about the attachment link but just saving space! I hope the falling tide was good after I left. Work called  :wink:

Best wishes

Andrew

hkwongkit 9/04/2008 07:53

Andrew,

The falling tide yesterday was ever so slow attracting more birds closer to the hides. But the overhead light was awful by then at around 1 pm. See the attached shot ...

kmike 9/04/2008 08:40

Hi Andrew

This bird shows a flat crown and sharp angle between the bill and the forehead, and a long bill.

Lesser Sand generally shows a stubbier bill and more rounded crown.

The falling tide was slower yesterday, but still went out pretty quick. The smaller waders like the mossy area in front of the new hide, and I had good views of Long-toed Stint and Turnstone for the first time this year,  the long-staying Long-billed Dowitcher, a Red-necked Phalarope and a three or four Nordmann's Greenshank

There were also a couple of Saunders' Gull, but the larger gulls seen last Friday had all gone.

Cheers
Mike

kmike 9/04/2008 09:00

Hi Andrew

This bird shows a flat crown and sharp angle between the bill and the forehead, and a long bill.

Lesser Sand generally shows a stubbier bill and more rounded crown.

The falling tide was slower yesterday. The smaller waders like the mossy area in front of the new hide, and I had good views of Long-toed Stint and Turnstone for the first time this year,  the long-staying Long-billed Dowitcher, a Red-necked Phalarope and a three or four Nordmann's Greenshank

There were also a couple of Saunders' Gull, but the larger gulls seen last Friday had all gone.

Cheers
Mike

深藍-Owen 9/04/2008 09:40

excellent photo andrew, I'd edit your post then it can show your pic from pbase directly, remember the format then u can do it yourself next time.

cheers,

Owen

handrew 9/04/2008 09:46

Thanks to each for the responses and comments. I have other sandplover shots so I'll have to see if I can "do" those now.

Andrew

John Holmes 9/04/2008 21:48

Plover photos

Come on, Andrew !

I'm looking forward to seeing more, but it's past my usual bedtime already !!!

John

handrew 10/04/2008 20:38

Oh alright, John. Here's another one. This one has a nose almost as big as mine so it MUST be Greater!!

Sleep well.

Andrew
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: (Greater?) Sand plover