查看完整版本: Birding in Palawan, Philippines

ajosh 4/01/2009 19:27

Birding in Palawan, Philippines

Just returned from a little over two weeks in Palawan.  Birding wasn't my primary focus, but I usually reserved the early mornings to walk around for a few hours before Island hopping, snorkeling, or relaxing on the beach.  I have to say that Palawan is incredibly pristine.  Vast jungle covers nearly the entire island.  Getting from place to place is difficult and expensive but lovers of biodiversity I can't imagine a happier place on earth.  

We flew in and out of Puerto Princesa but spent most of our time in Port Barton, El Nido, and Sabang.  Sabang is home to an 8 Km long underground river formed by millions of years of dissolving limestone.  The inside of the cave is 65 meters tall at it's highest point - truly an amazing sight.  A highlight was the Edible nest Swiftlets echolocating as they zoomed past us in our canoe.  

I was hoping to see the Palawan Hornbill or the Palawan Peacock-Pheasant but missed them.  I did see the Palawan Flowerpecker and a host of other great birds.  I'm not a photographer but have included a couple photos from the trip along with a complete list of birds.  32 new lifers!  

If anyone is interested in going I'd be happy to provide some helpful hints.  

Cheers,

- Josh

Here's the list of birds:  

Rufous-tailed Tailorbird
Asian Glossy Starling
Eurasian Tree Sparrow
Pacific Swallow
Little Spiderhunter
Olive-backed Sunbird
White-bellied Munia
Scaly-breasted Munia
Chestnut Munia
Common Greenshank
Pied Triller
Barn Swallow
White-breasted Waterhen
White-breasted Wood Swallow
Little Egret
Cattle Egret
Zebra Dove
Blue-throated Bee Eater
Grey-streaked Flycatcher
Yellow-throated Leafbird
Glossy Swiftlet
Common Emerald Dove
Common Sandpiper
Brown Shrike
Greater Sand Plover
Lesser Sand Plover
Palawan Flowerpecker
Striped Tit-Babbler
Dark-throated Oriole
Ashy Drongo
Spangled Drongo
Olive-winged Bulbul
Bar-bellied Cuckoo-Shrike
Common Flameback
Dollarbird
Blue-headed Raquet-Tail
Green Imperial Pigeon
Large-billed Crow
Copper-throated Sunbird
Stork-billed Kingfisher
Whimbrel
Greater Coucal
Grey-cheeked Bulbul
Chestnut-breasted Malkoah
White-bellied Sea Eagle
Pygme Flowerpecker
Wood Sandpiper
Lovely Sunbird
Purple-throated Sunbird
Mangrove Whistler
Black-naped Monarch
Common Iora
Pied Fantail
Crested Serpent Eagle
Slender-billed Crow
Lesser Coucal
Great Egret
Eastern Reef Egret
Black-naped Oriole
Edible Nest Swiftlet
Common Kingfisher

ajosh 5/01/2009 09:01

Here are a couple photos.  Hope they show up.  

- Josh[attach]2747[/attach][attach]2748[/attach]

cbryan 5/01/2009 22:55

yes, palawan is indeed a great place, for birding as well as snorkelling and diving.  i went there in feb of 07 and spent a week at el nido.  i did mainly snorkelling and didn't went birding.  but birds are everywhere around the bungalow including swiftlets, sunbirds, mynas, cuckatoos and egrets.  and i was lucky enough to have seen the palawan hornbill.  they were right above our heads when we're having poolside breakfast.  its definitely a memorable experience and a place to visit again.  maybe i should try canoeing underground as you've mentioned when i do so.

thinfor 6/01/2009 01:04

Before having interests in birdwatching, I long to go to Palawan because of the good SCUBA diving sites there.  If I plan to go there, I think I need a couple more days to explore underwater, in the jungle and 3551cd08785a445 in the sky!
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Birding in Palawan, Philippines