查看完整版本: What Stint???

lmhokevin 17/04/2009 18:38

What Stint???

IS it Long-toed???

HFCheung 17/04/2009 20:30

I think this is Long-toed Stint.  The leg colour cannot be seen well, but it looks pale enough for Long-toed.

HF Cheung

lmhokevin 17/04/2009 20:48

Thx, Would u mind tell me how to distinguish little and long toed when the leg is not clear enough

[[i] Last edited by lmhokevin at 18/04/2009 09:36 [/i]]

ajohn 20/04/2009 11:31

Structure is often useful in stint ID. Long-toed is even smaller than red-necked/little (useful in comparison). It also tends to seem very small-headed and thin-necked, and more upright than the other species. The legs (when visible) are shorter than on other stints. The bill is slightly decurved.

In terms of plumage, Long-toed in spring is very bright with orange tones (not brick-red as on red-necked). These often seem a bit more intense than on Little Stint, especially on the face and breast - Little would show a pure white throat and centre to the breast whereas Long-taoed has a complete breast band. Overall, I think that Long-toed often gives the impression of a tiny version of Sharp-tailed Sandpiper. In winter plumage, Long-toed appears browner, less grey than Red-necked/Little. Leg colour is also very useful, of course (pale on Long-toed, dark on red-necked/little)

Habitat is also useful - Long-toed tends to occur more on freshwater habitats (fishponds). At the moment they are often outside the boardwalk hide but favour the more vegetated areas or areas with algae on the surface of the mud. Red-necked/Little tend to occur more on the open mud, usually well away from vegetation.

lmhokevin 20/04/2009 14:18

Thx John!!!!

tmichael 20/04/2009 20:59

"Overall, I think that Long-toed often gives the impression of a tiny version of Sharp-tailed Sandpiper."

More like a Pec surely, but I see what you mean!

3551d16c4689445

Mike
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: What Stint???