查看完整版本: Wader ID Help

cjacky 25/05/2009 22:47

Wader ID Help

Date : 23-MAY-2009

Hi, May I have your help to ID this bird ?  It looks like a Great Knot, but I confused by obvious supercilum and pale grey coverts.

HFCheung 25/05/2009 23:19

Looks like Grey-tailed Tattler.

HF Cheung

cjacky 25/05/2009 23:27

OH YES

Thanks Fai Gor. 3551shy445

ajohn 26/05/2009 08:29

This looks to me like a knot in non-breeding plumage. There is a slight suggestion of red on the photo but that may be an artefact. The size (slightly larger than the red knot), structure (bulky body, small head, longish decurved bill) and plumage pattern (obvious breast band) make me think that Jacky's initial suggestion of Great Knot is correct.

Among other things, Grey-tailed Tattler should show a slimmer body, straight two-tone bill and usually barring on the underparts.

HFCheung 26/05/2009 19:13

I have thought about Great Knot, but the pale orange legs looks odd for that.  I have also thought about the size, but I have been tricked several times before on size.  So sometimes I would disregard the size factor if that is close enough.
I think "Grey-tailed Tattler" and "Great Knot" are suggestions that for the observer to decide, who should have more views than one single photo on this bird.

HF Cheung

cmichaell 26/05/2009 21:59

Why not Stilt Sandpiper?

I know its not on the HK list yet, but this bird isnt right for Knot/Great Knot/Grey-tailed Tattler, as can also be seen by the range of views.

The relatively plain back with central black shaft streaks, the fairly prominent whitish supercilium, the longish slightly decurved bill [possibly fore-shortened by the photograph angle], the longish yellowish legs and the barred underparts all indicate possible Stilt Sandpiper in non-breeding plumage.

I have quickly looked for a similar plumage bird on the internet and give below link to a pic which shows some of the features [but not the breast barring].

[img]http://gingerangel.com/pictures/birdlists/pics/Stilt_Sandpiper.jpg[/img]

Please post any other photos of this most interesting bird, and let us know where at Mai Po and at what time it was seen.

Mike C

cywong 26/05/2009 22:37

I have taken some photos for the same bird and I am also wondering what it is. The bird was staying with a Red Knot all the time and the red tint is not an artefact. Can it be a Red Knot in non-breeding plumage?
Mai Po, 23/05/09

[[i] Last edited by cywong at 26/05/2009 22:49 [/i]]

cmichaell 26/05/2009 22:51

Cy,

Thanks for posting the extra pics. These clearly show that the bird is a Red Knot in non-breeding plumage based on proportions of bill, neck, and legs, and plumage.

Mike C

cjacky 26/05/2009 22:56

Here is better photo of this bird. The bird was seen in MaiPo Broadwalk WWF BirdHide (the old one)at 23-May-2009 ~11:30am.
[img]http://photo.db-db.net/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=9724&g2_serialNumber=3[/img]

[[i] Last edited by cjacky at 26/05/2009 23:31 [/i]]

ajohn 27/05/2009 09:09

I agree with Mike. The new photos clearly show a non-breeding Red Knot
頁: [1]
查看完整版本: Wader ID Help