Board logo

Subject: immature Orange-headed Thrush [Print This Page]

Author: Ken    Time: 1/02/2011 23:18     Subject: immature Orange-headed Thrush

1 Feb 2011
Siu Lek Yuen

Author: Ken    Time: 28/02/2011 21:49     Subject: I am still here~

Taken on 26 Feb

Author: lpaul    Time: 2/03/2011 16:43

Sadly this is almost certainly an escape.  In addition to some tail damage this bird shows a bare area at the base of the bill on the right hand side of the head.  Such damge is classic cage damage and is caused by birds pushing their bills through the wire mesh and scraping off the skin at the base of the bill.
Author: cgeoff    Time: 2/03/2011 16:46

It appears also to have been rather approachable.

The fact that we record birds exhibiting this kind of damage relatively frequently illustrates the extent to which birds are traded through HK. I wonder, for every bird seen with damage, how many are traded, and, more importantly, how many die from sickness due to the appalling conditions and treatment associated with this trade?

I strongly believe that this is an area where the HKBWS should be taking a lead in pressuring goverment to ban the trade. All the arguments about it being a part of the culture fade into insignficance, in my opinion, when set aside the heavy toll inflicted on wild birds.

GeoffC
Author: brendank    Time: 2/03/2011 17:33

Agree totally that HKBWS should pressure the government to ban the bird trade.

I wonder how many birds we see without feather damage which we think are completely wild birds are in fact ex-captives.  Even if 95% of birds in the markets show damage, ex-captive birds could live for months or years after release and re-grow all damaged feathers.
Author: kmike    Time: 2/03/2011 19:52

I agree that this is a big issue, and an important one.

Anyone wishing to start a subcommittee to work on the bird trade issue would be more than welcome. However, please be aware HKBWS and KFBG tried this when H5N1 was clearly shown to be coming into HK through the bird trade - and even when there was a very good reason to close down the trade, we were completely ignored by the Government.

An issue like this really needs a champion who will:

The key leverage points are:

Opposition will come from:

This is a daunting task. However it may be possible to address this issue by requiring Government to report and take action on the trade under the Convention on Biological Diversity - under the section on Hong Kong's impact on biodiversity beyond its borders, which is a key component of the CBD. This is not totally remote as AFCD informed LegCo that Hong Kong would sign up to CBD by the end of this month.

I'd welcome any comments, and especially any volunteers . . .

Cheers
Mike

[ Last edited by kmike at 2/03/2011 19:57 ]

Welcome to HKBWS Forum 香港觀鳥會討論區 (http://hkbws.org.hk/BBS/) Powered by Discuz! 6.0.0