Board logo

Subject: Flycatcher ID pls [Print This Page]

Author: ivantse    Time: 7/01/2013 23:35     Subject: Flycatcher ID pls

My friend got a female flycatcher in Tai Po Kau this afternoon.
Look so interesting, so need some help for ID.
Thanks very much

7 Jan 2013 Tai Po Kau
Credit by So Ying Kin

Author: lpaul    Time: 8/01/2013 13:42

Tricky based on a single photo in which the colours are difficult to judge.  Are there other photos?
Author: Jonathmartinez    Time: 8/01/2013 14:46

Structure, short bill and legs, add to the repartition of rufous on head with grey crown and nape looks good for a female Vivid Niltava to me.But I agree with Paul that more picture from different angle should be better to confirm this.

All the best,

Jonathan
Author: brendank    Time: 8/01/2013 18:55

I think this likely the same bird photographed by Beetle and which I thought (and still think) is a Vivid Niltava.
Author: Beetle    Time: 8/01/2013 19:37

This is the bird i photographed on 1 Jan for interest.

and the male on the same day

[ Last edited by Beetle at 8/01/2013 19:42 ]
Author: Jonathmartinez    Time: 8/01/2013 22:06

looks they are the same bird to me, but then it is not a Vivid Niltava...ah ah ah... the wisdom of elders to wait for more pictures... I should remember that...
The pale at the base of the bill suggest Fujian Niltava, there is hint of blue on the neck side, but nothing that looks like a white gorget, but could be very limited in this bird or hidden in this picture...
Author: brendank    Time: 8/01/2013 22:31

I am not really convinced it is a blue collar. Looks like a few aberrant grey feathers to me. However, the pale bill base does seem to be a problem and it also rules out Small Niltava. Like the robin, I can't really see any species that fits this bird perfectly.
Author: Jonathmartinez    Time: 9/01/2013 13:27

the quite pale whitish undertail covert seems to be good for Fujian and also rule out Vivid, Rufous-bellied and Small.
Author: lpaul    Time: 9/01/2013 14:25

It is a first-winter which might explain why the blue neck patch is pale.

Welcome to HKBWS Forum 香港觀鳥會討論區 (http://hkbws.org.hk/BBS/) Powered by Discuz! 6.0.0