Board logo

Subject: Yellow Wagtail or CitrineWagtail? [Print This Page]

Author: kkitty    Time: 18/11/2006 21:46     Subject: Yellow Wagtail or CitrineWagtail?

Please kindly help to identify.  Thank you.

Long Valley
18/11/06

Author: fforrest    Time: 18/11/2006 22:17     Subject: Yellow Wagtail

Hi Kitty,

Can you tell us what features of the bird make you feel it is a Citrine Wagtail?
The pale surround to the ear coverts should be very obvious and complete for a CW.

Forrest
Author: kkitty    Time: 19/11/2006 00:19     Subject: Re: Yellow Wagtail

[quote:58f8bd0597="fforrest"]Hi Kitty,

Can you tell us what features of the bird make you feel it is a Citrine Wagtail?
The pale surround to the ear coverts should be very obvious and complete for a CW.

Forrest[/quote]

Hi, Forrest,

The bird seems have a letter "C" around the creek but not obvious.  So I wonder whether it is a juv. Citrine Wagtail.

Cheers,
Kitty
Author: ddavid    Time: 19/11/2006 12:34

Kitty -

Sometimes taivana Yellow Wagtails can show a facial pattern similar to Citrine Wagtail, as in your photograph. However, I agree with Forrest that the pale suround to the ear-coverts on Citrine Wagtail is usually more obvious than on the bird in your photograph. Also. Citrine Wagtail would show a pale centre to the ear-coverts, which the bird in your photo doesn't show, & the crown would also appear lighter.

So, although the bird does show a "C" around the creek, I think it is a taivana Yellow Wagtail and not Citrine.

Regards,

David
Author: kkitty    Time: 19/11/2006 14:33

Thank you Forrest.

Thank you David for your detailed explanation.

Welcome to HKBWS Forum 香港觀鳥會討論區 (http://hkbws.org.hk/BBS/) Powered by Discuz! 6.0.0