Thread
Print

Brown or Dark-Sided Thrush?

Thanks Guy. Not sure how you could misconstrue your wonderful photos as being of nuisance value! They are clearly quite the opposite - they are a great help in focussing our minds on the key ID features of these wonderful garden visitors,  are so useful at teasing out all sorts of hard to see features in the field and often gives us unprecedented views of these shy species.

I am interested in your initial comment. I assume you meant a female/imm Dark throated Thrush (ie Turdus not Zoothera!)- which would have dark fairly broad streaks heaviest on its  breast.It never has any white on its tail.A nice thought...perhaps one post soon!

Brown headed Thrush was once considered a variant/subspecies of Pale Thrush. It  shares a fairly similar looking head/throat pattern(blackish lores,thin pale yellow eyering,lack of a supercilium,pale streaked throat,dark malar stripe and pale sub moustachial stripe) but has orange underparts ( I understand the light was terrible but I think we would see some suggestion of this.)The pale tips to the outer 2-3 tail feathers, as far as I am aware, is pretty unique to Pale Thrush and certainly a great key id feature in the field when faced with a disappearing Turdus.

Looking forward already to your next posting!
Best wishes
Eric

[ Last edited by RUWright at 8/12/2010 08:19 ]

Thread