Thread
Print

Raptors in Sweden

Pic 3: A nice Red KIte. The tail is disproportionately long and in the lower picture note the characteristic way its tail hangs down.

Pic 4: For me this is a  juvenile European Sparrowhawk. I can see why it might pass as a Goshawk on relative tail length and moderately chunky appearance  but  I think this is an illusion because of the angle.
It is difficult to age and sex .As you know male Sparrowhawks are much smaller than females , but in a cropped photo that doesn’t help.

I am seeing the chest bars as being rather irregular and perhaps  even vaguely splodged and the throat apparently streaked with rufous. Perhaps there is even some rufous on the chest and the leading edge of the underwing coverts.

The barring on the flight feathers are much bolder than on an adult  Goshawk and this is clearly not a juvenile Gos.

I would expect the secondaries to bulge more on a Gos and the supercilium to be even more prominent.

Picc 5 & 6 Clear Buteos: Common Buzzard

Pic 7 Typical European Honey Buzzard profile with a  long necked appearance , the rather sparely marked ‘hand’ and darker secondaries. The grayish head  (if real) points towards this being a male.

Pic 8: *!@* knows. Got any more shots?

Pic 9 & 10: Marsh Harrier juv. The juvs are darker and become less uniform as they age. Dark eye and pretty uniform dark coverts in 9.

Pic 11 : Typical Buteo: Common Buzzard

Thread