Thread
Print

Egret ID Help!

Egret ID Help!

I took this photo (apologies for the low quality) on the Boardwalk at Mai Po on May 17 2009 thinking it was a non-breeding Swinhoe's Egret since someone in the hide said that was what it was. It always seemed to me that it looked more like what I would expect an Intermediate Egret to look like however, but since none of the photos or illustrations in the bird books I found where very conclusive I have never been sure.

Can any of you Hong Kong egret experts tell for sure which this is?

Its been bothering me for 2 years now :-)

Thanks

Peter - phumphrey@msp-llc.com

Egret ID Help!

Aplogies I think I posted this on the wrong forum - so I'll repost here.

I took this photo (apologies for the low quality) on the Boardwalk at Mai Po on May 17 2009 thinking it was a non-breeding Swinhoe's Egret since someone in the hide said that was what it was. It always seemed to me that it looked more like what I would expect an Intermediate Egret to look like however, but since I am not familiar with either species and none of the photos or illustrations in the bird books I found where very conclusive I have never been sure.

Can any of you Hong Kong egret experts tell for sure which this is?

Its been bothering me for 2 years now :-)

Thanks

Peter - phumphrey@msp-llc.com

Thanks - well its definitely not a Great Egret, and I do think Intermediate is likely, but I know there were Swinhoe's reported that same day there, I didn't see any clear Intermediates that day, plus, and this is the real question I have, is I'm not sure what the distinguishing features between an Intermediate Egret and a Swinhoe's Egret at that time of year in situations where a Swinhoe's is not in winter plumage but has not yet entered full breeding plumage (maybe a first summer bird or one that, for whatever reason, is not breeding that year).

All the books I have seen discuss how to tell an Intermediate from a Great Egret (the gape feature you mention is commonly cited, but I thnk this also holds true for a Swinhoe's versus a Great?), or a Swinhoe's from a white morph Pacific Egret, but not how to tell a Swinhoe's in semi-breeding plumage from an Intermediate. The features often mentioned for an Intermediate vis-a-vis a Little Egret - larger size, stubbier yellow bill, thicker neck, etc - are also mentioned for a Swinhoe's vis-a-vis a Little Egret - ie both species, relative to a Little Egret, are typically bigger, with thicker necks and stubbier yellow bills - again just based on the the literature I have found. But if you have a summer Swinhoe's with no head plumes, how do you tell it from an Intermediate?

Looked at a bunch of photos from the Egrets photo section on this site and I see many examples of both Intermediate and Swinhoe's that look to me quite a bit like this bird.

So I am stuck and looking for some help! Plus now I'm just curious as to how anyone would tell them apart.

Thanks

Thanks - that confirms what i always thought which is that it was an Intermediate and not a Swinhoe's. Oh well, guess I'll have to return to HK one day to see one of those :-)

Thanks again

Thread