Thread
Print

Please help ~ Great Coucal / Lesser Coucal?

Please help ~ Great Coucal / Lesser Coucal?

I find it difficult to differentiate Great Coucal and Lesser Coucal.  Would you please kindly help?  Thank you very much!
Date:  24 June 2012

Thank you very much, Beetle!

It'd be lovely if somebody can kindly tell me the way to identify Lesser Coucal in the field.  It's difficult to see the white streaks in the field.  Is there any other ways to differentiate it with Great Coucal?

Here are 2 more photos of another coucal.  Please advise if it's Lesser Coucal or Great Coucal.  Thank you thank you!

Thank you very much, Dr. Cheung & Ajohn!

The iris colour of Lesser Coucal is painted in red in "The Birds of HK & S China".  It's mistaken then.

Sorry I have 2 more questions.  According to "The Birds of HK & S China",

1.  The underwing coverts of the Great Coucal in flight is drawn black / dark in colour, but all brown for Little Coucal.  Is it true?  

2.  The lower back of Little Coucal is brown in colour while that of the Great Coucal is black.  Is it true?

Many thanks, Beetle, Dr. Cheung, AJohn & Kwok Jai!  I've learnt a lot from you.  Thank you thank you!

Sorry I have a problem. On p.399 of the Photo Guide published by HKBWS, the coucals in photos no.4 & 6 have red iris.  Why?

Thread