Thread
Print

Is it Red-throated Pipit?

Is it Red-throated Pipit?

Thanks for help in identification.

Kam Tin

#1A

#1B

I Agree. i can find some pink colour on its face&throat.

Thanks, Beetle.

I saw another Pipit on the same day. However, no pink colour was found on the throat.

#2A

#2B

Is it also a Red-throated Pipit? Or another species such as Pechora Pipit/Buff-bellied Pipit?

i think this is another Red-throated Pipit as well. Note the reddish face colour which is also a characteristics of this species.

I agree that this is another Red-throated. Many birds in winter do not show any obvious red/pink on the throat.

Pechora can look similar, but note the yellow base to the bill, lack of primary projection (ie the primaries are not visible beyond the tertials) and the slightly colder, greyer tones to the upperparts. Pechora should show some primaries and is a much warmer, more ginger colour (especially around the face). Also remember that Pechora is a passage migrant in HK which has never been recorded in winter, and has a tendency to prefer more vegetated areas.

Buff-bellied would look rather different. In particular, the back would be darker and plained (less strongly streaked) and the underpart streaking darker and better defined. For caomparison, see this recent post: http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/view ... 0033&highlight=

Call is also a distinctive among the different species, and is very useful in the field when learnt. Try listening for the high-pitched 'seep' of red-throated when you see them this winter.

[ Last edited by ajohn at 23/12/2009 15:37 ]

Thanks, yvicky and ajohn.

Thread