Thread
Print

Long Valley 塱原 Winter 冬 2006/07

Long Valley 塱原 Winter 冬 2006/07

Had a quick walk around Long Valley Yesterday lunchtime/early afternoon.  Plenty of pipits, wagtails and common snipe about with occasional Stonechats and Daurian Redstarts.

A large flock (c.300) Crested Mynas were also present. Up to 25 avocet were seen on the river, with many small parties using the wet ponds. Two different individual Dusky (or part-dusky) Shrikes were seen.  

Species of note included:

7 Greater Painted Snipe - 5m, 2f
2 Bluethroat - both m
Grey-backed Thrush
Common Buzzard

I think I may have seen a Ruddy-breasted Crake.  I didn't get a terrific look at it, but just saw it just as it scuttled into dense cover; very small, reddy-brown colour - though I didn't get a good look at the under tail which I understand is distinctive.  Has anyone else seen this species here recently?

That desciption of the pond will do for me! That's exactly were I saw it!  Thanks Geoff.

Long Valley 22/01/06  1530-1700

Common Buzzard - 1
Common Kestrel - 1
Wood Sandpiper - max count 43
Green Sandpiper - 3
Common Snipe - max count 21
Greater Painted-snipe - 3
Little Ringed Plover - 5
Pied Kingfisher - 1 overhead
White-breasted Kingfisher - 1
Plaintive Cuckoo - 2
Yellow Wagtail -11
White Wagtail - 4
Olive-backed Pipit - 10+
Red-throated Pipit - 8
Richard's Pipit - 3
Bluethroat - 4 (possibly 5)
Siberian Rubythroat - 1 male
Daurian Redstart - 1 female
Common Stonechat - 12
Common Blackbird - 11
Grey-backed Thrush -1
Zitting Cisticola - 7
Dusky Warbler - 7
Yellow-browed Warbler - 1
Black Drongo - 1
Silky Starling - 12

Is there a map and numbering system for the ponds/plots available for recording purposes? I realise some ponds are numbered in the field, however many are not. I realise from following other threads,  it may be preferential not to disclose that that exact locations of particular birds at the site. But it would be useful from a personal perspective and easier when submitting records.

14/02/07 09:00-10:00

A brisk walk around yesterday morning revealed the usual suspects. Plenty of  Common Snipe (max count 16 on the Lily Ponds) and Wood Sands (max count 26 on #175) about, including the white bird.  

Also what looked like a Ruff was seen on the Lily ponds.  Definitely bigger than the wood sands, with a shorter bill, and buffish-brown in colour.

A Japanese Thrush was seen foraging along the bunds of the HWBWS farmland.

Single Bluethroat and Black-faced Buntings (3) seen in the dry "stubble" areas.

Didn't see the rail or crake, probably a bit late in the day but there were two Painted Snipe in the pond where they have been previously sighted.

Thread