Thread
Print

Streak-eared Bulbul ??

Streak-eared Bulbul ??

Streak-eared Bulbul ???

九龍公園 Kowloon Park
06/01/2007
Canon 30D + Canon 300mm+2x

I'd still say our very own Chinese Bulbul!

Cheers,
Ken

To bring a third species into it, I think it may be Olive-winged Bulbul Pycnonotus plumosus.

If it were Streak-eared it'd have to be a juvenile, not having pale eyes.

In favour of Olive-winged it also seems to have a dark bill and some darkness around the lores.

As a Sundaic species, maybe it jumped off a ship at Kwai Chung and headed back south!

Mike Turnbull

Thanks Mike, hv to tell that I mis lead Kuma this bird to Streak-eared Bulbul coz I find this photo in OBI :

http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=3&action=searchresult&Bird_ID=1728&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1&%3Cimg%20src=

Don't think you misled in any way Owen.

On the basis of this photo the Kowloon Pk bird probably is Streak-eared, and Robson (Birds of South-east Asia), which I turned to as a reference, not terribly helpful.

Sreak-eared is of course a very common bird, which I must try to look at a little closer next time I'm down that way.

Mike

Not looking at it too closely, I assumed a scraggly-headed immature Chinese Bulbul, this being Kowloon Park !

:

I've seen a few in Thailand which is a long way away.......but is there any chance a Streak-eared Bulbul would be in HK, naturally?

Cheers,
Ken

Not the slightest chance of natural occurrence no, Ken.

Species such as P. goiavier (Yellow-vented Bulbul? can't remember common vernacular name for some reason, but it's the one that's common in open country in Malaysia etc.) have previously been seen, obviously released or ship-assisted.

Concerning Chinese Bulbul, there just aren't any juveniles around at this time of year.

Mike Turnbull

Thanks for the clarification, Mike.
Anderson's Bulbul?

Cheers,
Ken

Are you having a laugh?

Mike :

Thread