Thread
Print

Chat or Thrush?

Chat or Thrush?

I saw this bird at the Lions Nature Education Centre today at about 12.30pm. My immediate reaction was that it was a chat but it looked quite large. However I was recently fooled by a Bluethroat which looked unusually large. However this could be a thrush. It was photographed at some considerable distance with a 400mm lens and the images are still big crops. If it were a chat, there was no tail shimmering and it looked very upright and robust. The tail was frequently cocked revealing white under-tail coverts. The head looked plain and the breast unstreaked. The wings had a chestnuty sheen in some light as I moved around to try and get a better view. It was found below the nature trail for those who know the area. When it finally flew it made a short single sibillant call - tsiip - not the call of the Olive-backed pipits which frequent this area too.

Other birds in the area were Red-throated flycatcher (2), Asian Brown Flycatcher, Olive-backed pipit and Red-flanked Bluetail. Any help appreciated.

Attachment

ID-2.jpg (0 Bytes)

9/01/2007 15:18

ID-2.jpg

ID-1.jpg (0 Bytes)

ID-1.jpg

ID-3.jpg (0 Bytes)

ID-3.jpg

Waaahhhh! The location was, as stated, The Lions Nature Education Centre a couple of kms from Sai Kung coming from my home in Clearwater Bay. It is on the right hand side of the road and there is good parking - it opens at 9.30am. More specifically I saw it when I was on the path leading past the 'sculpture' of the Lantern Bug. Just past there on the right are some piles of upside down pots and the path leads through to the nature trail. I only have 2 more images - both added.

Looking in Clement and Hathway I have to say that Grey-sided thrush appears to have a clear supercilium. It also warns of confusion with Eyebrowed thrush. I actually sent a pm to John Holmes yesterday mentioning an Eyebrowed thrush at this location but this is absolutely NOT the same bird.

Intruiging.

Attachment

ID-4.jpg (0 Bytes)

9/01/2007 17:05

ID-4.jpg

ID-5.jpg (0 Bytes)

9/01/2007 17:05

ID-5.jpg

Had a look - clearly the first is a better match potentially. The face certainly didn't have the distinct supercilium of the second photo. However in picture no. 1 the bird looks quite dark on the breast and almost scaly though I am sure I would not have seen that level of detail at such a distance.

http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=5&action=searchresult&Bird_ID=2427&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

this is quite a good match too from the OBC Images gallery, as is this:

http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?p=7&action=searchresult&Bird_ID=2427&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

Good point about access Mike. The park is actually closed on Tuesday but I didn't realise. The car park was open anyway so I just went in and wandered for a couple of hours, completely alone. I don't know whether there will be a "twitch" - I'm back at work tomorrow - but perhaps someone should explain to the park why hordes (?) of people may descend on a small area of the grounds tomorrow! I do hope it is refound and the ID proves correct. Good luck.

As Mike has come out for Pale Thrush I would like to say that John Holmes also e mailed me privately overnight saying he felt it was Pale Thrush (I hope you don't mind me disclosing this John). There are it seems birds of this species which don't show the white tail tips. I suspect it may not be possible to state definitively one way or the other but as the "finder" I would prefer to err on the side of caution!

Thread