Thread
Print

Avoid disturbance to birds around nests 請勿干擾雀鳥營巢

Quote:
Original posted by ajohn at 17/06/2010 09:07
.....it is unfortunate that, after several days of intense discussion, there are still constantly photographers next to the drongo nest. I hope that more space is given as the chicks prepare to fledge - at the moment there is nowhere for the chicks to go on their first flights.
ajohn

You probably did not get a chance to see versions of all the translated responses on your own thread. I saw there were numerous power debates on safe distances and suitability for photographing the Black Drongo nest. I have not seen a list of deliverables of working solutions being proposed to help the Black Drongo nest.

The Black Drongo nest is obviously very close to the 'road users', not limited to "photographers" but also big trucks, cyclists and workers frequently passing by, every 3-5 minutes at some peak periods. The pond side road flat pavement is only about 2-3 feet wide anyway.
That's a wishful thinking if the chicks aren't either land on the water or could be trucks roll it over. As a matter of fact. Mai Po access main traffic road offers no "safe distance" for enough clearance for (a crowd) photographing the nest. If that is 'safe' for the nest, it is not safe for the people.

A 2-day old thread people are still trying to resolve their differences. I am still hearing voices of frustrations including this one of yours. We did not face the reality enough.  There is no assurance to stop people visiting the nest. Not every visitor of the nest is a HKBWS member. Or do we still want to see people almost ending up a fight at the nest spot or come back to this thread with their photos proof arguments?

"Love" the Birds is a bit different from "Care" the birds, someone needs to act.

Options:

(Please please anyone do not challenge me on this for the sake I am only brain storming, if you have a better option please simply add to the list. )

Inform AFCD to fence up the area so that "safe distance" is maintained between all the road users and the nest. Life and dead of the chicks we don't care, let the nature to decide.  (I am aware a fence may not be easily set up, this option is somewhat ideal)

Leave the photographers alone, give them  our trust, their presence could mean higher chances the chicks can be picked up

I read that people in some countries do relocate nests in their garden and high chance the feeding is resumed soon as the mother hears the crying chicks. Otherwise, they would call their local authority (our AFCD) to handle the abandoned nest. Therefore, the third option is to request AFCD to relocate the nest to a safe area. I do not know enough if AFCD has procedures for escalation, monitoring and proper handling of any potential abandoned bird nest. I have only heard AFCD is aware of the Black Drongo nest issue but don't know what is their accountability about protecting the chicks.

cntlaw
p.s. People did not deal with personal criticisms in the private messaging system is a sign of not trusting (knowing) each other, just a typical local Internet forum culture. FYI, Ying got a lot of kicks in front of public too. It is fair for you to say so if you think you wanted to be treated differently in this forum thread.

[ Last edited by cntlaw at 17/06/2010 15:36 ]

Quote:
Original posted by fkm at 18/06/2010 21:05

So, your reputable society encourage violent behaviour?

I stAnd by what I said about this gang!

OFFENCES AGAINST THE PERSON ORDINANCE - SECT 39
Assault occasioning actual bodily harm
Any person who is convicted of an assault occasioning actual bodily harm shall
be guilty of an offence triable upon indictment, and shall be liable to
imprisonment for 3 years.
(Replaced 24 of 1950 Schedule. Amended 50 of 1991 s.
4) [cf. 1861 c.100 s.4 U.K.]
侵害人身罪條例 - SECT 39
襲擊致造成身體傷害
任何人因襲擊他人致造成身體傷害而被定罪, 即屬犯可循公訴程序審訊的 罪行, 可處監禁3年。
(由1950年第24號附表代替。 由1991年第50號第4條修訂) [比照 1861 c. 100 s. 4 U.K.]

Thread