Thread
Print

Tern's ID please

Been thinking about this one for a couple of days, and I've come back to my original view on this one - surely it's the species it is most likely to be anyway, ie Roseate Tern, presumably a bird born this year, but which has already assumed full winter plumage (?? as I've not checked moult timing details).

Although there's a hint of Sandwich Tern jizz in the fourth picture - really just that the crest appears a little 'floppy'? - that's the picture showing pale (washed out, dirty orangish?) legs and feet, which seems wrong for Sandwich, but in any case in none of the others does it do it for me jizz-wise as Sandwich Tern, and I saw a few in UK as recently as the first week of this month (+ I've seen thousands and thousands over the years).

I think also,without going into massive detail, the wing pattern - narrow dark leading edge above all - is classic Roseate and never shown by Sandwich (or Arctic, for which a few things look wrong) as far as I can see.

Wasn't it great to get those extra images! Thanks Fatchun

My main reference btw has been Collins Bird Guide (Britain and Europe) currently on sale from the Society I believe, and at a favourable price to members - highly recommended. and in the future all field guides will be that good or even better!

Finally it's NEVER 'too far' for things like terns, or any highly migratory bird to go anywhere - 31 years ago an Aleutian Tern came to my native North-east England, probably even more amazing than Sandwich Tern would be in HK (+Ancient Murrelet, Long-billed Murrelet, Tufted Puffin, Yellow-nosed Albatross, Sooty Tern and Bridled Tern - several -  have all occurred thousands of miles out of range in UK in my birding lifetime).

Mike Turnbull

[ Last edited by tmichael at 22/08/2010 05:40 ]

Thread