Thread
Print

White Wagtail baicalensis?

White Wagtail baicalensis?

This bird arrived on Po Toi today, together with an adult leucopsis.

It bears a striking resemblance to the 2006/7 bird that was identified as baicalensis and was also partnered with a leucopsis, photo from 2006 here

Is it baicalensis? Or is it a hybrid, part baicalensis?

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 3/09/2010 08:42 ]

Black cap does not come down to the bill, black throat not so clean cut, white not so extensive on wings (all compared with 2006/7 bird. Actually I thought at first that it was the 2006/7 bird until I compared the photos)

Now that you've confirmed the Id, I've changed the main title.

Partnered = inseparable from, almost always seen together over a long period of time. I'll send you an email.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 3/09/2010 08:43 ]

Hi Johnathon (is that right?)

Your first bird appears to have some black splodges on the back, which I think indicates a first winter male leucopsis. I'm not sure about the second bird.

One feature which has not been mentioned so far is the colour of the rump. I have recently received a copy of the new book 'Advanced Bird Id Guide for the Western Palearctic' by Nils Van Duivenduk. This doesn't include any pictures or photos but has lists of important features for 1300 species and subspecies in the Western Palearctic.

Surprisingly, it does include baicalensis, which it treats as a subspecies of the nominate White Wagtail alba, and leucopsis, which it treats as a separate species Amur Wagtail. It mentions rump colour as a key feature to separate these - black for leucopsis and grey for baicalensis in all plumages (page 257).

Perhaps Paul would like to comment on this as a diagnostic feature.

I hope to get some better photos of this bird next week which show the rump colour.

[ Last edited by wgeoff at 5/09/2010 07:50 ]

Thread