Thread
Print

Is it female Mugimaki flycatcher?

Is it female Mugimaki flycatcher?

TPK 10-9-2010

Sorry for only a few shots provided and I could not see its back as it just appeared with a short time only.

Thank you for your advice.

Quote:
Original posted by wgeoff at 11/09/2010 09:37
This could be the female Blue-throated although the breast and throat colour is very orange. Mugimaki should have two pale wing-bars which I can't see any sign of on these photos. Also the wings seem  ...
Thanks geoff. I know there might be some different betwee the real color and the color in the book(Honk Kong and South China Bird guide), but, in my opinion, I think that the female blue-throated flycatcher would have paler throat instead of the same color as the color of the chest.

One point that I missed when ID this bird was the length of wings. Yes, when comparing the length of wings, this bird has shorter wings than the Mugimaki. Thank you very much.

Quote:
Original posted by Beetle at 11/09/2010 17:42
geoff,
i have another individual seen on the same day, it will be great if you can compare both individuals.
http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/viewthread.php?tid=12089
The photos reflect the same coloration as the real bird. So I think it should have the same / about the same orange color in its throat and chest.

For me, these two birds were quite different. If the bird of my photos is blue-throated, would Beetle's one is other species of bird? Or, this tells us that there might have two or more individual of blue-throated flycatchers in TPK? If yes, it would be a very interesting record for me.=]

Thanks for detailed discussion by Geoff and John! I think female blue flycatcher in most case are difficult to be correctly identified. Or I should say no definite answer for the ID of such female blue flycatchers. This may be due to the complicated situation of the distribution of them in HK. Some, most probably blue-throated, are captive, some are true migrants, and some are unknown situation.

I have learnt more through this detailed discussion and information provided. Again, thank you very much.

Chun

Thread