Thread
Print

Black-headed Bunting

Paul can and no doubt will answer for himself, and though I can see where the query by HF comes from, I think Paul means what he has typed ie there are (presumablyand extremely plausibly, though not proven to be) no supply lines of cage birds from the Caucasus/N. Iran to S. China.

However, what I really wonder about is whether anybody knows whether Bh Bunting is ever seen as cagebird in anywhere in China?

One would expect not unless one of the vagrants/regular small wintering population (take you pick!) is trapped to the west of here, say in Yunnan.

Also it's interesting that minor regular 'wear and tear' tail damage is being suggested as occurring regularly in this species, highlighting the difficulties in dismissing too firmly the possibly wild origins of birds of other species on similar grounds.

Mike Turnbull

On the subject of Greater Short-toed Lark, wasn't there one a few years ago (around this time?) at Pui O, which fatally lowered a wing slightly in one photograph?

Can't find it through the search and maybe I'm mistaken.

PS I saw Mongolian Lark at LV in 2000 during the coldest last weekend of Feb I can remember - the first winter bird race, I think.

Mike Turnbull

Thread