Thread
Print

odd wagtail, She Shan, Lam Tsuen

odd wagtail, She Shan, Lam Tsuen

Any thoughts on the identity of this unusual wagtail would be most appreciated. It looked superficially like leucopsis, but the black mark coming up behind the eye and the hint of a line from below the eye to the base base of the bill are unlike any leucopsis I have ever seen.

Cheers
Mike

Attachment

DSCN3080 wagtail sp. 1.jpg (123.21 KB)

30/10/2010 20:01

DSCN3080 wagtail sp. 1.jpg

DSCN3081 wagtail sp. 2.jpg (117.34 KB)

30/10/2010 20:01

DSCN3081 wagtail sp. 2.jpg

Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

Looks like baicalensis to me.

Many thanks Paul

Does anyone know of any other records except for those on Po Toi this year and last year?

Cheers
Mike
Mike KilburnVice Chairman, HKBWSChairman, Conservation Committee

I have seen sigles at Sai Sha (2009) and Nim Wan (last month).  I know of another 3-5 records elswhere.

Wouldn't the blackish rump and dark grey back suggest against a 'pale-backed' taxon such as baicalensis? Also baicalensis should have a similar head pattern to leucopsis, with possibly a slightly more extensive bib - this wouldn't explain the solid dark on the ear coverts and moustachial shown by Mike's bird.

Although leucopsis can sometimes show darker smudges on the rear ear coverts (perhaps mostly first winter birds?), it is not normally as black as on this bird. My guess would be that this is a leucopsis x alboides intergrade. I don't think the black is extensive enough for pure alboides (which is not yet on the Hong Kong list).

For the record, I also saw baicalensis at Yuen Long last winter.

Thread