Thread
Print

Lamma Island - Autumn 2010

Good to see I'm not the only person seeing birds on Lamma.... although I really think I must get outside my garden sometime.
Some very nice finds.... well done.
Other areas?:
1) Between Mo Tat Wan & Yung Shu Ha has a wet valley running the full length and should be very good
2) Between Yung Shu Ha/Tung O there is a valley that leads off the trail on the left before you climb up the hill to go to Sok Kw Wan
3) Just below Lo So Shing is a valley that runs from Sok Kwu Wan side to Lo So Shing Beach
4) Black-eared Kites (maybe 100+) roosting over the quarry ridge opposite Sok Kwu Wan
5) On the trail between Yung Shue Wan & Pak Kok there is a raised valley (wetland) just before Heart-attack Hill
6) Pak Kok when the Goshawks migrate back (perhaps 500+) spiralling to get altitude
7) Farmland & behind near Power Station Beach - at various times have seen Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (from 8'), Black-winged Stilt, Egrets, Buntings Stonechats, etc etc
8) Windmill Ridge - various at various times - White Bellied Sea Eagle, Amur Falcon, Buzzards, White Collared Crow, open hillside birds etc
9) Valley behind Yung Shue Wan has a large variety from Wetland to Forest birds
10) December/January should see about 20-30 Little Egrets, several Reef Egrets, Grey Heron all within 30' at times in Yung Shue Wan
11) My Secret Garden

Lamma covers quite a large area and has many areas suitable for many different types of birds... really depends what you are looking for, what time of year, & how much time you want to spend...

All the best, Guy

Thread