Thread
Print

Chinese Blue Flycatcher, North-east NT on 4 Feb 2011

Chinese Blue Flycatcher, North-east NT on 4 Feb 2011

This afternoon (4th Feb 2011) a male Chinese Blue Flycatcher was seen in the North-east New Territories, at Lai Tau Shek near Sam A Tsuen. Views were very good, but fairly brief. The bird remained calling in the area for several minutes, but unfortunately I was unable to get another view. I am sure that with time and patience, better and longer views can be obtained.

This species is a recent split from Blue-throated Flycatcher, and was listed as Blue-throated on the HK list until recently. Three records are listed in the Avifauna - 2 in late Jan/early Feb, and 1 in May. I don't know how many subsequent records have been confirmed as Chinese Blue (perhaps someone from the records committee can update us). There have been some recent Blue-throated records (e.g. the various records last autumn) but these do not fit the appearance of Chinese.

For those wishing to look for the bird, take the path from Wu Kau Tang towards Sam A Tsuen. You need to take the upper path via Lai Tau Shek, NOT the lower path through Ha Miu Tin/Sam A Chung. Much of the path is on open hillside, but eventually you reach better secondary woodland. Look for a collapsed house on the left, immediately followed by a red water pipe (fire hydrant). The bird was in the woodland close to this reed pipe. The walk will probably take at least one hour from Wu Kau Tang - if you are going, please remember to take plenty of water, especially if it is sunny and hot like today!

Thread