Thread
Print

Bird Ids in Kagoshima - Japan

Bird Ids in Kagoshima - Japan

Hi,
Seen the following bird skulking last week on forest ground in Kagoshima (south Kyushu) at an altitude of around 400m. Unfortunately, only managed to take this very poor shot before it flew away (having bad camera settings   ). To help id, it seemed size of a Robin, which could rule out an eye-browed thrush. Relatively short tail, brown cap, very distinct white supercilium and blackish eye stripe.
Very quiet and staying in a relatively open area in a dark forest patch, which (for me at least) rules out Japanese Bush Warbler. Seemed to have some orange on the belly, but not sure.
Also second bird seems to be a Lesser Cuckoo, but not sure (could also be an Oriental one as both species were heard in the same forest and this photo was taken on fields, just outside the forest).
Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks a lot!

Attachment

Japan bird id1.jpg (81.63 KB)

20/05/2011 06:16

Japan bird id1.jpg

cuckoo.jpg (61.54 KB)

20/05/2011 06:16

cuckoo.jpg

Pure guessing on first one:
1. Asian Stubtail
2. Oriental Cuckoo

Thank you very much. I thought the Oriental cuckoo would have a paler rump. For the first bird, I thought it was a bit larger than a stubtail, but the features would kind of match, aside from the size, so it may just be an impression when first looking at it.

Thread