Thread
Print

[China] Raptors @ Northern Xinjiang 北疆猛禽

I had also been puzzling over these pictures. I had assumed all shots were of the same bird, but looking more closely, it looks like the tarsi on the bird in flight are not feathered whereas they are on the perched bird. Are they the same bird Paul, or could the first bird actually be a Buzzard as Eric suggested. The plumage of the bird in flight also looks to me more like a buzzard than an eagle.

The perched bird does look more like a Steppe Eagle, with moderately large bill (too large for a buzzard), obvious gape line and feathered tarsi.

Thank you for the extra photos - these actually help a lot!
Photo B shows a perched bird which is clearly a buzzard and obviously different from the previous photos of perched birds. Compare especially the relative size of the bill, the shape and pattern of the head, the strength of the legs/feet and the feathering on the legs. Photo C shows the underwing, and the patterning fits for a buzzard - the dark patch at the carpal is a classic feature of buzzards and would not be shown by any eagle.
The first perched photos show a clearly much more powerful bird, and this bird does look more like a Steppe Eagle.

I wonder whether the Eagle had recently made a kill and the buzzard was waiting in the same area to see whether it might be able to scavenge some food, hence you seeing both birds in the same area at the same time.

Thread