Thread
Print

[Oversea] 西班牙觀鳥/拍鳥之旅分享 Spain Bird Trip Sharing

西班牙觀鳥/拍鳥之旅分享 Spain Bird Trip Sharing

Firstly I would like to say thanks to Eling. Although I don't know her personally, because of her post in this forum, I know this good place in Europe for birding. As had a family trip to Europe, I took this chance to Spain and spent a few days for birds. The staying period was too short for me to explore myself and so I went with a local bird guide there.

My objective was to take some good pictures for those species that I like, instead of a long list of seen record. Sometimes we wait in habitat that fit for my favorite birds, and hope those birds were there. I think I was pretty lucky and just like to share my happiness here.

Little bustard:
Very lucky for this. We saw one male displaying (calling, showing his neck feather and with little jumping). The bird guide mentioned that this was the only time he see this also in this season.

Great bustard:
Saw many times. However, they were always quite far away.

Corn Bunting:

Roller:
I thought the size is similar with flycatcher but they are much larger than I expected. I like this bird kind very much although it is common in lots of places. I spent quite some time to wait and search for it to stay in a "more natural" place. However, they love to stand on wire so much..

Bee eater:
I like this also although common.

Red-legged Partridge:
One of the favourite birds.

Sandgrouse:
Another bird kinds I like. From other websites, one good way to see them is to wait them in water drinking area in late afternoon. In late summer, most water source will dry out and force them to the remaining ones. However, the period I stay was not fit for this as water were everywhere. Also grass were long and they tended to hide inside. It was already lucky to see them flying out from it. Following are pic of black bellies sandgrouse.

Northern Wheatear (Male):

Northern Wheatear (Female):

Great Spotted Cuckoo:

Black Stork:

White Stork:

It is a very good place to watch raptors.
Griffon Vulture:

Egyptian Vulture:

Black Vulture:

Spanish imperial eagle:
At one moment, there was only 30 pairs left in the world. Now around 150 pairs according to the bird guide.

Golden Eagle:

Booted Eagle:

Short-toed Eagle:

Little Owl:

Black kite:
I thought it is red kite when I first saw this, as it is different from what we commonly seen in hk.

Red kite:
This red kite ate an egg of lesser kestrel. When the lesser kestrel mother realized and came back, it was too late. I saw the lesser kestrel went back to the place of her egg to check, then she shouted at and chased the red kite but nothing can be done

Lesser kestrel:
"star birds" there. Met lots of bird watchers in one of the popular location. 2nd one below is male and others are female.

Goldfinch:

Common Cuckoo:

Red-rumped Swallow:

Woodchat Shrike:

Southern Grey Shrike:

Hoopoe:

Rock Bunting:

House Sparrow (Female):

House Sparrow (Male):

Wood Pigeon:

Crested Lark:

Calandra Lark:

Thekla Lark:

Mallard (Photo taken in France):

Spotless Starling:

Jackdaw (Photo taken in France):

Raven:

Great Reed Warbler:

Zitting Cisticola:

Common Starling (Photo taken in France):

Landscape:

Two more videos:
The "flamboyant display with foot stamping and leaping in the air" (quote from wiki) of Little Bustard

"Hi bird, I know your name already, no need to repeat so many times"

[ Last edited by kyshum at 31/05/2011 22:28 ]

Thanks Mon and Gary.
I've been to Extremadura in Spain.

Hi tomatofamily, sorry that cannot give you any advise about Germany as I don't have any experience.

I had done one homework (maybe stupid) before I go and you may consider to do that.
I had scanned through the book <<Collins Bird Guide>>. There is a map for every bird species, and I list out all the bird species that may show up in the area I visit.
From the list, I check the description, identification and picture one-by-one. Then filter out another list that I interested in and then I can ask/google how/where to see it in more detail.

Added two more videos in the bottom of my first post.

[ Last edited by kyshum at 31/05/2011 22:07 ]

Hi Eric,
I wish I had seek for your advise before I go.
For the Lesser Kestrels, the photos are taken in the Bullring in Trujillo.

Thread