Thread
Print

請問是否鵪鶉bb

Dear tomatofamily,

Being a HKBWS member, I think you would agree to follow the "Code of Conduct for Birdwatching and Photography announced by HKBWS: http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/view ... &extra=page%3D1

In order to protect bird nest and juvenile, bird watchers and photographers are NOT encouraged to approach bird nest and chick and juvenile birds. I know you may encounter this chick during your visit and you do not mean to disturb it. However, from your reply above, especially the sentence "See, when we look at this issue in a macro way, I would not worry about our behaviour, i.e. walk closer to have a look or take a nice photo of the babies and the juveniles.",  I think this would mislead other members in this forum that human approaching nests and chicks is an acceptable behaviour.

We would like to clarify that HKBWS do not encourage people to approach breeding birds, nests, eggs, chicks and juvenile birds so as to minimize human disturbance to them.

Vicky
HKBWS Officer

Dear Tomatofamily,

I think you did the right thing that to walk back from the nest once you discovered it. No one know which distance is far enough, every nest differs. However, the most easiest way to know if you are getting too close or not is the behaviour of the adult birds. If they can continue visiting the nest and feeding their babies without any anxiety or hesitation, the distance show be fine for observation and photo taking.
For the issue of taking nest picture, I think it is okay if you're taking the photo in a suitable distance (mentioned above). The Home Sweet Home section of the forum is to share the observation of the growth of birds' next generation so that we can know more about the breeding ecology of birds. This part is done by assigned volunteers to ensure the nests are not disturbed.
It is difficult but challenging. I hope you enjoy it!

Vicky

Thread