Thread
Print

請問是否鵪鶉bb

Hi, HF Cheung.
Can you elaborate more on how "it" may affect its health?

I have recently seen a lot of babies and juveniles in HK Park and Victoria Park.  They are Greattit, Starling, Violet Whistling Thrush,Common Magpie, etc. And there are a lot of people walking, janitors using their brushes to brush the leaves on the floor making a quite of lot of noise.  What happen to the babies and juveniles?  Maybe that make them more strong and alert and be able to survive.  On the contrary, those who has not been with people (like those on the mountain, prone to be weak in the sense).  That would be the reason we need to be away from them.

They would also become agitated too when a kite such of kind flies over them.  It could be more destructive.  See, when we look at this issue in a macro way, I would not worry about our behaviour, i.e. walk closer to have a look or take a nice photo of the babies and the juveniles.  You know, my wife said about lesser butterflies this year.  I hypothesized that more birds' babies born, lesser butterflies, since the babies of the butterflies have gone to the bellies of the birds' babies (just like more fruit on tree, less crops in the field, since lesser rain falling).  Those who love butterflies may not love birds.

Dear Vicky, our HKBWS Officer,
As a member of the HKBWS, I dare not to disturb the babies in the nest or the juveniles.  I am the bird lover too.   However, it is difficult to measure how close is too close and considered to be disturbance.  Say, I was standing with the camera under the ten yard height tree and watching the juvenile birds enjoying the feeding from the parents.  Was I too close to them.  I have only so far seen one nest built near ground (most them I would guess far from reach), which you probably have seen that, it was the Greattit nest with five babies inside (I posted here).  I did walk close to it but I did not realize it was so close to me; I was attracted by the babies sound.  As soon as I found the nest, I was back away about five yards behind one of the cars and took my camera to take some of the photos.  The mother was able to feed them several times, which may signify this family was not disturbed.   

But I am confused when I was told not to take pictures of the nests; but there is forum called Home Sweet Home, discussing/displaying difficult kind of birds nests.  What is all about that?  I AM cautious about not mentioning the places of the nests though.

Thanks anyway for the advise.

member of the HKBWS

Hi, ajohn.
How could you interpret the present of the people around the birds "not making the chicks stronger and be able to survive".  My meaning is the mechanism of alertness they would build.  This is the mechanism all animals including human being should equip with in order to be survived.  I am not talking about stronger.  those stronger without brain die first.

Thread