Mid May, 2011
Lesser Grey Shrike 黑额伯劳

Isabelline Wheatear 沙鵖

Ortolan Bunting  圃鵐
(M on the left & F on the right)

Male

Booted Warbler 靴篱鶯

[ Last edited by Paux at 27/06/2011 20:28 ]

Thanks Paul for sharing some more nice photos. The Warblers a bit of a nightmare and I understand you might have other behavioural and structural  characteristics that may have pointed towards (?Western) Olivaceous Warbler Iduna pallida. Was there any chance this might be a Booted W I caligata?
The reason I wondered was the front part of the upper edge of the supercilium seems to be dark edged, the bird appears rather compact and the legs seem rather pale with dark feet(that's why they are called 'booted'!)
Always difficult with limited views but you did well to get these images.Details of the bill tip  and primary projection would be helpful.
Attached is a Western Olivaceous from the greek island of Lesvos digiscoped 5 years ago - interestingly its leg and feet appear to be different colours !
With kind regards,
Eric
[attachimg]9340

[ Last edited by EricB at 26/06/2011 22:46 ]

Attachment

LB (79).jpg (90.34 KB)

26/06/2011 22:38

LB (79).jpg

Eric,
Thanks for your views on the ID of this difficult bird (to me at least). I have re-examined all my relevant photos & compared them  to your photo of Olivaceous (it helps me a lot). As you pointed out correctly, the bird in my photos got a longer & darker supercilium, a smaller bill than a Olivaceous, so it was a Booted Warbler indeed. Thanks again.   

Paul

Lesser Whitethroat 白喉林鶯

Red-crested Pochard 赤咀潛鴨

Greylag Goose 灰雁

Spotted Flycatcher 斑鶲

White-crowned Penduline Tit 白冠攀雀
This amazing little bird built its nest in a very professional way! When it returned to the nest, it didn't simply jumped in. It spent a lot of time on touching up around the critical connection point between the tree branch & the nest. When it felt the nest was safe enough, it then entered the nest & enjoy!

Thread