Thread
Print

[Owls] Eagle Owl beside Yuen Long Highway

Perhaps HKBWS could report it to the Highways Dept and recommend them to put falcon stickers on this section of the YL Highway.

The pic is a powerful education tool for relevant people in the Govt

Captain

BTW, I saw an Eagle Owl at Lam Tei Reservoir 10 yrs ago, probably not too far from the barrier. perhaps thsi corner is the territory of an Eagle Owl

Dear Geoff and John,

Pls kindly share the studies you mentioned.

My experience is it could help reduce the no of dead birds resulting in window collision, esp small migratory birds.

Pls note that the interval between two stickers is quite important. Local measurements suggest that if the interval of stickers is greater than 1.5 m, birds will pass through the "gap", resulting in collision.

Anyway, love to see relevant statistics. Perhaps Highways D should fund a study about the effectiveness of stickers.

Cheers,

Captain

The effectiveness of stickers may be species specific.

I was told that lines will be "fused" into new transparent noise barriers and so they will look like impermeable to birds. The effectiveness should be tested.

For the old ones, putting more stickers is currently the most cost-effective measure. Another way is to let them dirty and cover with dust so they look like impermeable.

Captain

Thread